Author Topic: Avast not working  (Read 1907 times)

day150

Avast not working
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
I downloaded the avast free trial last weekend and activated it after uninstalling Norton. CNET had given it a good review. The result has been a mess, it's like going back to dial-up aol. If somebody can't get me some info on how to make this work better, it gets uninstalled this weekend. Both IE and Chrome have staggered to an almost complete halt. Avast kills ten or fifteen minutes every time I try to go online updating itself, even if it just updated a few hours ago. Any ideas?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast not working
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
You may have uninstalled Norton but did you remove the remnants? after running the removal tool for Norton from here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ you need to reboot, follow with a repair of avast and reboot again - if issue is still not fixed norton may have corrupted avast beyond repair and a clean install of avast will be required.

day150

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »
Thanks, I'll see if it helps.

I saw on another topic that avast updates every two hours. Isn't that kind of excessive? I would think once every 24 hours at 3am would be fine. I can't do anything while it's updating.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
I don't know what the context of that is but your assumption is incorrect. By default avast 'checks' for updates every 240 minutes, there may or may not be an update available. Generally there are two auto-updates a day; there are also streaming updates (avast 7, cloud services), these are for more important updates that shouldn't wait until the next regular update release.

The free version of avast can lower this update 'check' down to 120 minutes, but that doesn't mean it is going to update every two hours.

The paid versions of avast can reduce the checking interval even further down to 30 (or possibly 15) minutes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

day150

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
Well maybe it just checks, but I can't do anything until it finishes checking. Maybe trying to kill off the Norton remnants will help. It's really frustrating.