Author Topic: Chrome Choice Checked 'Yes' IS WRONG!  (Read 2705 times)

ManyQs

Chrome Choice Checked 'Yes' IS WRONG!
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:19:29 AM »
It's just plain wrong!

You are undoubtedly going to trick some people who are not so smart, or don't see so well, or simply are not so used to using the Internet and such things that trick people that we are frequently finding on the Internet.

YES, make a bigger advert for people to see that they can get Chrome through Avast, BUT to have the situation set up in a way that you know fully well you will snare some that don't know what they are doing, for whatever reason, is JUST PLAIN WRONG!

Yes, yes, I know there are benefits of some sort in this deal with Google, Inc. but my vote is that it's bad.  I hope you won't censor this and my voice by deleting this thread.  I checked and couldn't find a thread voicing an opinion that this is bad of Avast, although I saw some opinions in other less direct threads about Chrome.

And if you are going to delete this, please let me know why, thank you.  I don't think I'm known for being too much of a troublemaker, so maybe I deserve some consideration.

I also think I have been using the products for a fair number of years.  I've brought a few customers into the fold.  Yes, that hospital thing a couple years ago rubbed some folks in management here the wrong way, but overall I don't think I've been too much of a bad influence upon this community, have I?

I think we should be able to voice strong opposition to something like this Chrome business without being censored. 

Thank you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Chrome Choice Checked 'Yes' IS WRONG!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »
Maybe ppl should learn to start READING what programs are saying during install time... the reason why most keep things pre-enabled with checkbox is the eactly same reason. ppl just click next and no one would even install Chrome. Ever. When other way around is used, they complain of things being installed without their knowledge. They were notified very clearly, but they just dind't bother to read it...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hellion

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
Hi All,

I would like to add my opinion.

I find this Chrome thing a little bit of a grey area.

Chrome (When compared to Firefox without add-ons) is the most secure browser you can have and as many infection methods are web based, this seems like a great idea!

On the other side I feel that Avast is being too pushy with chrome...

But then again, at least it's not a toolbar! I HATE Toolbars. >:(

ManyQs

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
RejZoR, I do not disagree that people should read / pay attention to what they are doing -- and not just in the circumstance of installing or upgrading programs. 

But we both know that many don't.  Too many don't.  And that's why there is the default "Gimme Chrome".  At least, I think that's the reason.  It's a trick.  These folks here know very well they will catch some folks that, if given a choice, would have chosen NOT  to be caught.  It's a business thing.  And I think it's wrong.

On another part of your post, RejZoR, the comment that "no one would even install Chrome" I don't agree with.   

There are lots of folks that really like Chrome.  But whether one likes or dislikes Chrome isn't my point in this thread. 

My point is the trickiness -- the slight of hand, if you will, of that default "Gimme That".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:32:48 AM by ManyQs »

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
hmm...i feel that we users who get free stuff (eg. Avast free), should be prepared to accept that the company providing the freebie will bundle it with something (google chrome), and pre-checked install by default, requiring the user to opt out manually.

yes, it maybe using consumer's ignorance to their advantage, but i believe it does contribute a bit of money to the company, thus the incentive to provide the freebie.

i believe theres no 'free lunch' in the world (if ur thinking that the freebie should be provided solely to increase conversion rates to the paid suite)
it is quite natural that companies try to 'squeeze' something out of free users (they are a profit company after all)

i think Avast has threaded the issue very well already by providing the option to opt out and the bundled software is a browser (with valid security features in it, not some toolbar which just takes up space for most part)

on top of that, while it is true that many people do not read enough to opt out bundled software during installs, it is also true that most of them who do not read do not really bother as long as it is not harmful. in my opinion, those who do not read and whine about it when it is installed is pretty much nonsense...

that said, i believe bundled installs should not be opt out in paid products, if there is any present. (just stating my stand here, i dunno if Avast pro/internet security bundles google chrome or not)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
Well you are coming to this party pretty late in the day, there are ManyTopics (sorry couldn't help myself)about it and for the most part people agree it should be Opt-In not Opt-Out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security