Author Topic: Not updating Virus Definitions  (Read 12917 times)

ssjseifer

Not updating Virus Definitions
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
I uninstalled and fresh installed the newest version of Avast Free (7.0.1426) last Thursday and registered it properly in-program.

When I click "Update engine and virus definitions" under maintenance, I get the following information after a download.
Current Version: 120306-0
Release Date: 3/6/2012 2:04:03 AM
Last Update attempt: 4/12/2012 6:02:11 PM

In addition to regular updates, avast! uses streaming updates to defend against the latest threats.

Streaming updates: Enabled
Connection: Connection established
Latest update received: 4/12/2012 4:16:00 AM

However, the Current Status page reads as:

Real time shields:               V   on
Definitions auto-update:     V   on
Virus definitions version:   !    120306-0      Update
Program version:                V   7.0.1426
Expiration date:                 V   4/5/2013 8:22:17 PM

From the virus update list, I know I am behind on my definitions, but it does not seem to be updating, and in addition, I keep receiving reminders to update.

Running Windows XP (SP3)
Windows Firewall is not running. (No firewall is running)
avast! seems to be connections properly and attempting to update its definitions, but doesn't seem to be updating to the latest definitions.

Please advise if able.  Thank you.

iroc9555

Re: Not updating Virus Definitions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 03:24:08 AM »
What happens when you try to update manually clicking " Update " ?

You can download latest Virus definitions:

http://www.avast.com/download-update

Or try to repair Avast!. Start > Contro Panel > Add & Remove programs > Avast! > Change Remove > Repair.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:38:25 AM by iroc9555 »

ssjseifer

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »
Alright, when I click update, it just jumps to the "Update engine and virus definitions" button and runs it automatically, then comes with the same results as before.

I then skipped to trying the repair option under Add/Delete in Control Panel, which told me there was some kind of error with some files (didn't think to write which ones down, but I believe they were database files) and to use the full update option instead, so I pulled it up again and instead chose "Update" instead of "Repair."  It seemed to download some files, but when I looked, the same was still displayed.

However, when I went and manually downloaded  the file from your second suggestion and ran it, it told me that it successfully updated from 120412-1 to 120413-0.  Even though the avast! was telling me that I had 120306-0 before hand.  When I looked in avast again afterward, it was showing 120413-0.  So it is correct now, and thank you.

I guess it seems that it was updating properly, but not changing my definition version number in avast! for some reason.  Hopefully everything is alright now, but I won't really know until the next definitions update.

Again, thank you for the help on the problem.

Offline Porkov

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »
I receive one red popup after another that says "avast! Information
The last attempt to update your virus definitions was unsuccessful.  To ensure you are protected from the latest threats, try again to update your virus definitions now.
Update now.

I recently upgraded to avast! Internet Security.  When I look at the Maintenance Update window it says I am up to date with definitions v. 120711.1 and program 7.0.1456.  When I click the summary button it shows that I have virus definitions version 120707-0.

My customer number is 42802538.  Here are my system particulars:

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   N/A
System Manufacturer   Hewlett-Packard
System Model   HP Compaq dx2250 Microtower
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2593 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   Phoenix Technologies, LTD MS7297 1.12, 8/11/2008
SMBIOS Version   2.5
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name   N/A
Time Zone   Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory   2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory   489.92 MB
Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.96 GB
Page File Space   7.34 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys

chb95210

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10:07 AM »
ssjseifer is right: Avast 7.0.1456 seems to  have update problems on some computers (I have the problem with one computer, th eother one works perfectly). In fact the updates work but for some reason Avast doesn't succeed in changing the definition version number... so Avast writes the is a problem...
The solution is given by ssjseifer: go to the control panel (add/delete programs), use the uninstall/modify tool for Avast and use the UPDATE option Note that the number version is the updated one. Anyway, click on next to update the definition files and then it is downloaded and installed again... and Avast will write the real version number.

Great, thank you ssjseifer for the solution !

I then skipped to trying the repair option under Add/Delete in Control Panel, which told me there was some kind of error with some files (didn't think to write which ones down, but I believe they were database files) and to use the full update option instead, so I pulled it up again and instead chose "Update" instead of "Repair." 

I guess it seems that it was updating properly, but not changing my definition version number in avast! for some reason.  Hopefully everything is alright now, but I won't really know until the next definitions update.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Actually the correct solution for the sync problem is to first try to manually update your virus definitions, if that fails, reboot your machine, if that fails wait for the next release of the virus definitions.  The reboot usually fixes the problem.

If that fails, then you try the Avast Repair:
XP Users:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Vista & Win7 Users:
-   Control Panel
-   Programs & Features
-   Uninstall a Program > Select Avast Antivirus
-   Click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair
-   Click Next and follow.
-   Reboot.