Author Topic: avast! 4.5 review by Security-Ops  (Read 17354 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Re:avast! 4.5 review by Security-Ops
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2004, 04:36:41 PM »
I noticed Connie stopped replying, could it be because i am, in fact, right in my assessments?

No Connie already informed everyone that she is leaving for vacation...  ;)

See here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=9719;start=45#msg81464
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 04:37:08 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Germanium202

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 04:43:05 PM »
I noticed Connie stopped replying, could it be because i am, in fact, right in my assessments?

No Connie already informed everyone that she is leaving for vacation...  ;)

See here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=9719;start=45#msg81464

Ooops, missed that.

GYL

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 04:53:48 PM »
Hi Germanium! as my english is very very more bad than your. i'll speak to you in French :

VAS-TE FAIRE FOUTRE!!!

Germanium202

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 05:07:14 PM »
Hi Germanium! as my english is very very more bad than your. i'll speak to you in French :

VAS-TE FAIRE FOUTRE!!!

Nice, real nice, fuck off asshole in French, very creative, almost as good as a guy i encountered in another forum who said the same thing in Swahili, but just almost.

Can you say it in a language i speak? Like Swedish or German?

a61_a61

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 05:18:25 PM »
This thread should be deleted :-[

a61

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2004, 05:34:33 PM »
Hey guys, let's everybody calm down ! This is really not a way to comunicate. All antivirus differences aside, we still should act as friends, no matter what antivirus is your favourite... we should talk like normal people, not like jerks...  ::)

These forums are meant to be as gatherings for all people who has to say something regarding avast! and/or they experiencing some difficulties configuring above mentioned antivirus tool...

Even if you have to report some strange avast! behaviour or some bug or something, everything is allowed... we are here to try to fix all those issues, and if something is out of our reach, there are Alwil guys who will work on it as they proved million of times by now...

But, talking dirty was never a way... let's really calm down and try to comunicate as normal human beings... is it possible ?

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 05:35:43 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

a61_a61

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2004, 05:47:43 PM »
This thread is way off base from the forum policy.http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=6339

I seem to see these guide lines broken many times, and it's not pleasant to read some of this at all.

a61

neal62

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 05:51:26 PM »
I must say that this individual/s that is belittling Avast is obviously "12 bubbles shy of a complete circle" This was once quoted:
"They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea."

Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)
What it appears here is that we have someone who falls into the above quotes. I might add that as I once earlier stated," if there is a need to know" then knowledge is forthcoming. Howsoever, in this case: "Men are generally idle, and ready to satisfy themselves, and intimidate the industry of others, by calling that impossible which is only difficult."

Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784), Life of Boerhaave
It appears that the level of difficulty is too great for this person to be able to comprehend so consequently he/she bashes, belittles, TRIES to intimidate others with a so called self proclaimed sense of supercilious exhibitions which are entirely superfluous in this forum . Obviously being a  superficial entity as it appears does not impress, intimidate, or bring anyone down to any certain level of awarness. Consequently since I have taken time out of my busy schedule to express my thoughts concerning this entity I hope that some individual/s whom might find the time to digest these opinions will take heed. Then in more laymans terms " take a hike" is more concise and to the point.
  My suggestion, is to go try and find somewhere else on the Internet where your attempt of superiority will be overwhelming to those elsewhere that don't know any difference or care.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 05:55:53 PM by neal62 »

Germanium202

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2004, 05:55:16 PM »
Hey guys, let's everybody calm down ! This is really not a way to comunicate. All antivirus differences aside, we still should act as friends, no matter what antivirus is your favourite... we should talk like normal people, not like jerks...  ::)

These forums are meant to be as gatherings for all people who has to say something regarding avast! and/or they experiencing some difficulties configuring above mentioned antivirus tool...

Even if you have to report some strange avast! behaviour or some bug or something, everything is allowed... we are here to try to fix all those issues, and if something is out of our reach, there are Alwil guys who will work on it as they proved million of times by now...

But, talking dirty was never a way... let's really calm down and try to comunicate as normal human beings... is it possible ?

Thanks in advance !

I don't know Avast, i tried to get a hold of a Linux evaluation product so i could understand the hype but i can't.

I am sorry if i have offended anyone, i really didn't come here to do that, i came here because of a review that i thought seemed fair enough that was thouroghly trashed by some members, that is all i really came for.

I still haven't seen a good explanation why it was trashed.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2004, 06:12:23 PM »
Well, you see when you calm down, everything is possible... most important, it's possible to establish healthy and polite conversation in the first place...

I still haven't seen a good explanation why it was trashed.

I wouldn't call it trashed... it's just no one likes to see some review that's not made at least 70% accurate... I'll just say something about this, taken out of his review:

Cons
Somewhat odd user interface compared to others
System resource hog
Slow scanning
2 items appear in tray after install

Somewhat odd ? I wouldn't call it odd. Maybe it's different, but for sure it's not odd. If they made avast! exactly same looking as BitDefender or any other antivirus GUI look like, I'm sure hundreds would bash avast! because of copyrights on GUI style...

I will speak for myself... I spent a lot of my spare time (a lot !) designing skins for avast! No, I am not primary avast! skin designer, that's Martin Novak's job, but I am happy that Alwil team and avast! users accepted me as first additional skin designer for avast! I am sure Martin spent same amount of time doing his job on skins... it's not easy, believe me... best of all, many users still doesn't like skinning feature, and they want their avast! to run in plain mode... I have no problems with that. I respect everybody ! That's why Alwil gave us NO-Skinning option with new program build. So, everyone should be happy, everyone is able to configure their antivirus the way they like. Isn't that something ? So, let's finalize this... GUI is not odd, it's just different and Alwil gave us great oportunity to choose in between all those skins or no skins at all if you prefer...

Resource hog ? Second, avast! is not resource hog at all. It's natural that is uses some amount of system resources, it's normal... if we want to be protected well, program has to run all those functions, therefore it needs system resources... Has he ever tried running Norton on his machine ? Now, that's a system resources hog. But, I'll leave it for Norton forums...

Slow scanning ? Wel,, maybe it is, but at least I can make it run in background while I'm doing somethig else... no biggie...

Two items appear in system tray after install ? Of course they appear, because that way new users will learn easier about VRDB generator. Also, there is very obvious function to hide or merge that second (additional) icon with main avast! blue spinning ball... it spins only when avast! is checking some files or your system...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 06:15:26 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2004, 06:14:07 PM »
Germanium, do you have a qustion to ask? I mean, a question about avast, clear and simple?

If so, please just do so (in another thread! - and in the apropriate forum category). Otherwise, I'd like you to refrain from posting as your style is indeed considered offensive by a number of other forum members... ;)

Hope you understand what I mean. Thank you.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.