Author Topic: Avast VS Autopatcher  (Read 2770 times)

bizzybody

Avast VS Autopatcher
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »
I'd like to see an update to Avast that is pre-set to see all the components of Autopatcher as non-threats. www.autopatcher.com

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast VS Autopatcher
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
I guess your refering to the auto sandbox feature detecting autopatcher? Iv never even heard of autopatcher but if and when it gets popular enough it would then be added to the safe list by avast once they have had a few hundred reports on it's usage, till then you only have to tell the sandbox to open normally next time and tick the box to remember this decision.

bizzybody

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »
Autopatcher has been around for years.

It's a program that downloads updates from Microsoft so they can be kept to install later. It also has a program that checks to see what updates are installed, then manages installation of the updates the user selects.

It's very useful for maintaining PCs that have slow internet connections and for when there's a download limit on a connection and also for when several PCs need updating.

I have a USB stick with Autopatcher folders for different versions of Windows, one for MS Office and one for updates and addons common to several versions of Windows.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
Wheather it's been around for years or not doesn't matter-it's the popularity of the program that avast goes by and autopatcher doesn't have that popularity as say "secunia" so like i mentioned previously once avast has recieved a few hundred back end reports on the program it'll be excluded but not untill then so you have to exclude it manually for the time being.

Hellion

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
Hi All,

I don't think there is anyone that works in I.T and doesn't know about Auto-patcher!

bizzybody

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »
Avast also interferes with downloading some of the components of Autopatcher.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:22:29 AM »
as far as i know, Avast stand is not to do whitelisting for any apps that may trigger autosandbox. u will have to wait till it is more recognised by avast community (average avast users by large and a small group of advanced users?  :D)

i think this is because they want the verification process of an app to be as 'natural' as possible (sort of making everything go through the standard protocol for clearance rather than pulling strings (cause whitelisting is sort of a 'cheat' to the system i explained) )

just my thoughts though  ;)

@bizzybody: interfere u said in ur last post refers to filerep warning? (eg. 'whatever' is new...low prevalence/reputation...)?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:26:29 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

bizzybody

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:17:55 AM »
Avast doesn't like 7za.exe the 7zip command line program. 7zip is hardly what I'd call a little known program. It also doesn't like cURL http://curl.haxx.se

curl is a command line tool for transferring data with URL syntax, supporting DICT, FILE, FTP, FTPS, Gopher, HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP, IMAPS, LDAP, LDAPS, POP3, POP3S, RTMP, RTSP, SCP, SFTP, SMTP, SMTPS, Telnet and TFTP. curl supports SSL certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP PUT, FTP uploading, HTTP form based upload, proxies, cookies, user+password authentication (Basic, Digest, NTLM, Negotiate, kerberos...), file transfer resume, proxy tunneling and a busload of other useful tricks.[/curl]

Basically it is a tool for internet file transfer for use in batch files and other scripting systems.

Autopatcher uses cURL to download many of the updates and patches, some of which are archived with 7zip, which it uses 7za.exe to extract.