Author Topic: Need to Uninstall 6.0.1367 Pieces  (Read 10127 times)

ManyQs

Need to Uninstall 6.0.1367 Pieces
« on: April 13, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
I had an attempt to upgrade to 7.0.1426 go horribly wrong and could only get the computer to work again by doing a system restore and then Avast wouldn't doing anything correct.  Tried to uninstall the normal way and no go. 

Need all bits and pieces of Avast off my system so maybe I will put a new installation into place. 

Any ideas?

It's a Vista Home.

Thank you.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Need to Uninstall 6.0.1367 Pieces
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
1) download and save http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
2) download and save the avast version you desire http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93866.msg747322#msg747322
3) reboot into "safe mode" (press F8 repeatedly)
4) run aswclear for each version on avast you have now or ever had (step 1)
5) reboot into "normal mode"
6) use a good cleaner like CCleaner http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
7) install avast saved in step 2
8) reboot

Hope this helps. Please report back if you encounter any other problems.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ManyQs

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
Thank you for your prompt response.

Could I skip number two and do a new install later when all the pieces are removed.

I do mean pieces, by the way.  The uninstall through the control panel style went wrong, also.  There are not as many files, or parts of files, as there were before this disaster started.

There is a program file, by the way, listed as Avast5, so it must have been constantly upgraded over the past couple of years.  There is still an Alwil folder and I don't think that is used anymore, is it?

Anyway, the uninstall utility can go in and clean all that out, yes?

Thank you for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »
Anyway, the uninstall utility can go in and clean all that out, yes?
Run the uninstall tool the number of times you need to point the uninstallation process to these old folders or, thinking in another way, run it the times you've installed a different avast! version (run once for version 5, other for version 6...).
The best things in life are free.

ManyQs

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
I ran it for Avast5 and all but the Alwil folder in both Program Files and ProgramData was gone when I checked.  And the Alwil folder showed nothing in it, so I deleted that, too.

BUT in the registry there is an Avast folder with something called Secure Connect in it.  I should just leave that alone, right? 

Can go for a completely new installation of Avast 7, yes?

And thank you for the help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:55 PM »
BUT in the registry there is an Avast folder with something called Secure Connect in it.  I should just leave that alone, right? 
Yes, let it there. You've run the beta of Secure Connect from avast! It's another program.

Can go for a completely new installation of Avast 7, yes?
Yes :)
The best things in life are free.

ManyQs

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
Okey-dokey.  Here goes.  Tech has passed me the ball and I'm bobbing and weaving between the opposition -- . . . 

Will be back with an update as soon as . . .

As I race down the pitch the green spreads out behind me and the fans throw pieces of paper above me and we run and run and . . .

Reaching a steady speed of 385KB per second and the NET is there and the ref asked if I have admin privledges -- Dumb ref -- of course I do -- Uh oh, who's this player?  Google Chrome?  FOUL!! Off the pitch you chromehead!!

Doing an Express Install and the fans are cheering!!!!

Going . . .  "Please wait" . . .

"Scanning your PC" -- like I'd bring my PC out on the pitch -- HAH!!!

We take you back to ManyQs' workstation where it's all very boring and no fans and no cheering and . . .

"Please stand by..."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:41:09 PM by ManyQs »

ManyQs

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
Looks like we won that game, Tech.  Thank you for your help.

And a thank you to you, Para-Noid for pointing me in the right direction.

Now I better go take a look at those default settings.  Don't remember them and program upgrades I don't like to be on auto.

My goodness, I've never seen so many Avast windows open on my desktop.  Big one, little ones -- cute green colour, by the way.  Have to get a screen shot of this.  Got it.

ManyQs

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Had a slight problem trying to register for the full one-year.  When trying to enter the email address it was inserting gobbligook along with some japanese characters.  had to copy from Notepad.  Has that been reported before?  Should I do a new thread for that?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »
You are more than welcome! Just be sure to clean the registry with CCleaner.  CCleaner is very safe and used by many here on the forums.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

ManyQs

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the reason behind the registry cleaning advice, thank you.  I was always under the impression that letting a registry cleaner in was a last resort type of action.  I wouldn't mind spending the time to find what shouldn't be there, if you know where a list is.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:01:38 PM »
Here is a Wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry
Basically the registry lets your OS function more effectively.  The registry over time gets clogged with a lot of broken
keys and/or registry values you no longer need. Cleaning the registry will also help the performance of your machine. CCleaner will create a backup/restore point just in case
something gets deleted you want to keep. CCleaner will present you with a list after each scan so you will make the ultimate
decision. As I stated before CCleaner is extremely safe for the average user. Registry cleaners are not a "last resort". They are a good
idea.  :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:09 PM »
One begs to differ, I have seen many reg cleaners used unwisely and breaking the computer.  If you use them there may be a millisecond difference but I do not think you will see it

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 12:36:10 AM »
I have never had any problems with CCleaner. And I always make a backup before deleting registry errors.
Like you I have seen reg cleaners used unwisely. That is why I recommend CCleaner for the novice. I tried
Glary Utilities and it cleans a lot deeper than CCleaner. CCleaner does not do a very deep cleaning.
 So when it comes to Glary Utilities user beware.

ManyQs

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
Okey-dokey, folks.  Bad news for me.  I shouldn't have been so glib up there in that post about the downloading.  I had to remove all of Avast again.  My system was in a terrible mess, again.  That was after it seemed to want to run okay.

This time around, I first did a system restore from a restore point on the 10th, which was a fair bit back before the first attempt at an upgrade.  Okay, that caused a red-X on the little Avast icon, so I used the aswclear tool and got rid of all the stuff from Avast, again.  Used Microsoft's FixIt tool, for no clear reason, but for a just in case.

I apologize to some of you, but I'm not too keen on using a registry cleaner at this time.  Of course, I realize now that question about a list to look for in the registry is probably quite stupid considering all the stuff in there from Avast and Alwil before that.  But I am willing to try one more Avast install.

BUT this time I want to go the custom route and ONLY install the very, very basic stuff I need.

What I would like to know is if someone can list the very basic stuff I should look for as I go through the steps to do this in the custom mode.

Last time I did a custom thing was on the Gateway a few years ago and I am sure the options have increased quite a bit.  I'd like to be kind of forewarned, so to speak.

To be quite honest, I'm not feeling so good about trying Avast again, but ever since I walked away from Norton many years ago I've only used Avast and I'm not so keen on shopping around for any new folks.  So I'm going to try one more time.

By the way, the other computer giving me all the trouble IS working quite fine now, as it was before that horrible upgrade experience I wrote about in the OP.  The computer isn't broken, is my point.  If Avast breaks it again, I'll have to keep that Dell and Avast apart for the remainder of the Dell's lifetime.  I don't want to have to do that.

So how about a super basic list, please.

And thank you, anyone.

Oh yes, Tech, I saw your request for help in that other thread, but I had no idea what advice to offer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:05:03 PM by ManyQs »