Author Topic: Red x sometimes appearing in system tray on startup in XP  (Read 3645 times)

legaldeejay

Red x sometimes appearing in system tray on startup in XP
« on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:32 AM »
Hi all:

I have the latest version - 7.0.1426 with XP SP3.   Sometimes when restarting the computer, the red x over the Avast system tray icon will not disappear indicating the system is not secured.  But when opening the program, it indicates that everything is secured.  To eliminate the red x, I have to right click on the icon, disable all shields, then re-enable the shields.   No big deal, but why is this happening?   Would enabling the setting in Troubleshooting "Load avast services only after loading other windows services" fix this?

Thanks.

adotd

Re: Red x sometimes appearing in system tray on startup in XP
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
hi there

enable all the shields, dont put a checkbox in load avast services after windows has loaded. reboot and tell me what happens.

anthony

norel

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:45:13 AM »
Hi legaldeejay. When you say it does it sometimes, have you noticed if it's doing it the first time you restart after an update? My XP did that with a previous version of 6 but it seems to have gone away with 7. Did it start after you updated to 7 or before that?

I've read here recently that if you select "Load avast services only after loading other windows services" you leave yourself vulnerable to any malware that might execute before Avast starts but I don't really know all the facts or what the actual risk is. I do know when I was having the same problem, that setting didn't help.

legaldeejay

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
Anthony, I did reboot and it did not occur.

Norel, this did not occur right after an update because the last update was a month ago and I've restarted the computer several times since then.   I have a Scheduled Task to automatically restart the computer every week and the last time it restarted was yesterday when I noticed the red x.

adotd

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
so is it fixed now

norel

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
By update I mean definition update. You should be getting those every day.

legaldeejay

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
adotd:  This has occurred at other times in the past when restarting, but infrequently, since I only restart about once/week, so I'm not sure if anything is necessarily fixed.  Or it could just be an XP issue with many processes loading at the same time -- I have several programs set to load on startup.   If checking off "Load avast services only after loading other windows services" leaves me vulnerable to any malware that might execute before Avast starts, as norel states, then I can live with this occasional issue

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 06:22:51 AM »
I get this occasionally (Windows 7 x64) on start-up.  If I restart (or even just disable/enable in the options, since the shields are actually still on) it fixes it.  No biggy; just a gremlin in the machine, somewhere.