Author Topic: Need to Uninstall 6.0.1367 Pieces  (Read 10128 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Need to Uninstall 6.0.1367 Pieces
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
Just the basics. Web shield>file system shield>behavior shield>script shield>mail shield>network shield. 
Is your OS up to date? What other security software are you using or ever used? If uninstalled how was it uninstalled?
What version of avast did you have?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ManyQs

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
The OS is Vista Home and the "Important" updates are current.  Many "Optional" updates I don't want.  Or haven't had time to study to make informed decisions on.

Also have MSE on that unit, which I was assured wouldn't conflict with Avast.

Had V6.0.1367 and yesterday tried to do an upgrade through the UI but it went very wrong from the get-go (see OP).  Following advice here I got rid of the "pieces" and did a clean install of the latest version.  Thought it went okay, but was fooled. 

Used the same aswclear tool this second time of getting Avast off the unit and did a series of uninstalls -- first from Program Files, then from ProgramData. Done by pointing the tool at each folder.  Even used the aswclear to remove the Alwil folders from each.

Didn't go into the registry this time.  I'm just going to leave that alone.

Unit has been working like a charm for the last 4 or 5 hours.

So I am wanting to go through the custom install and install only what absolutely must be had.  Your list is it, right?

No chance you can point me to the full list, if y'all have that on file around here?  Just wondering what to look out for.  Of course, I am aware of the check boxes set at "Yes" for Google Chrome.  That won't be installed, of course.  But WebRep I don't want.  Don't particularly want that Streaming Update thingy.  In fact, I am thinking of unchecking that in the options for the Epson, too.

By the way, that's what is interesting in this drama.  I was quite successful upgrading the Epson from V6 to V7, but the Epson's first Avast program was V6.  The Dell's first program was V5, hence the folder having that name yesterday, and maybe a possible reason for the first failed upgrade -- don't know.

Anyway, I think that pretty much covers everything.   

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »
Two resident anti-viruses are not a good idea. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic260844.html/page__p__1441638#entry1441638

When you click "custom install" you will be presented with a list. Select what you want or don't want. If you aren't sure of what you are doing just use the default install. Then use avast for a while until you become more familiar then and only then do a custom install.
If you do not want "Google Chrome" de-select it during install.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

ManyQs

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »
My apologies, but you do remember page 1 of this thread, yes?

And I definitely remember last year or possibly the year before that somebody wrote that MSE could reside on an OS with Avast without any problem.  I guess I could find that if I search hard enough.

Is that something that may have changed with the new version -- v7?

Anyway, I have no choice but to do a custom install.  If I want to stick with Avast, that is. 

I'll just get to it.

Thank you for your attention.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 06:45:21 PM »
I cant find any info on who may have suggested to you that MSE and avast would be fine together ??? but that suggestion was not correct, and this was applicable for version 5,6,7, as Para-Noid mentioned you shouldn't have two AV's on the one system  ( even with one disabled ) as there can be conflicts with low level drivers causing system locks blue screens and sluggishness.
I also wouldn't disable the steaming updates as that is how avast are able to push out emergency definitions to keep you protected faster untill the next full update goes through.

ManyQs

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
Let me address the last point and then I'll go poke around about the other.

The previous versions didn't have the streaming of the vrus database and they were considered quite good, right?  The main update still happens, yes?  With the extra as indicated with the .x-1 or .x-2 etc, yes?

I get it that the streaming is now updating even faster, but after all these years of the older system how can it be that this streaming is suddenly so vital?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
It allows avast to push out def's for any recent bad detections which will in turn provide you faster detection of the baddies and give you more protection, it's getting vital to have these features nowdays as malware is evolving so fast and the AV companies are always playing catch up so the cloud def's just allow avast to catch up a little quicker.

ManyQs

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »
Of course, I understand the point.  Just that whatever is messing about with the Dell is something that wasn't in V6, because V6 worked just fine.

Now the MSE thing, it might be I'm confusing Windows Defender with MSE.  I'm not sure and it's 2 in the A.M. and might be a bit tired.  Just took a look at the Epson and I see the real-time protection on the Windows Defender is turned off and I now seem to recall that might be what I read, but I am a bit too tired to dig any deeper before I get some sleep.  But that's the Epson, not the Dell, which is the one giving me headaches right now.

All I know is the Dell worked fine for a fair bit -- from whenever V6 came out -- worked fine with the configuration as it was with V6 and didn't mess up until the attempt to upgrade.  I'll dig around after some sleep and coffee.

Anyway, appreciate the attention to this thread from everyone.

Sorry to be such a pain in the arse, Para-Noid.  I just got a bit grouchy there. 

It's been a cold, rainy day, too.  And the Dell giving me fits this morning when it was first turned on was quite the shock.  Like it planned all night how exactly to piss me off after I thought it was all nicely fixed. 

Computers can do that, you know?  Plot against their masters, like cats do.  And it's even worse when you put a bunch of them together like I have at this work station.  They all plot together when you're sleeping and ... 

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
I get it that the streaming is now updating even faster, but after all these years of the older system how can it be that this streaming is suddenly so vital?

http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-software-streaming-updates-for-all-with-the-newa-avast-7
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 10:26:36 PM »
Sorry to be such a pain in the arse, Para-Noid.  I just got a bit grouchy there. 

You are "not" a pain at all. We just want your forum experience to be a rewarding one. Just don't give up! As long as you don't give up we won't either. We can fix pretty much anything. Just keep reporting back what's going on. We are users just the same as you. If one user can't figure it out someone else can. There is a lot of teamwork here coming from every continent on this planet.  :)

ManyQs

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »
Thank you for that link, Asyn.

And thank you, Para-Noid, for your kind response. 

And be assured I am not a giver-upper type. 

In fact, too stubborn might be more descriptive.  I absolutely hate machines to get the better of me.  That includes these computer things.  That attitude stems from my aviation days way back in earlier years.  Can't have some flying machine, both fixed and rotary, getting all nasty and not doing what's requested.  So that stubbornness about machines has carried through to these neat, new computers. 

"New" meaning any computer these days is faster and does more than the old TRS80.  My TRS80s have the world's worst malware -- old age!  And it's beginning to infect me, too.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
Thank you for that link, Asyn.

You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ManyQs

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
Just the basics. Web shield>file system shield>behavior shield>script shield>mail shield>network shield. 

I don't mean to be trouble, but in future, if someone were to ask about the minimum stuff that gets installed, you might want to inform them that Webrep with that bar showing when the member is online also gets installed and they have to remove the bar and uncheck the box in settings after installation.  I mean, in the interest of full disclosure.  Some folks might feel that is pretty good information to have as they are deciding whether to use the product.  Knowing right off that they can get rid of it might be nice to tell them.  But more importantly, there won't be any surprises even after they asked for information.

Just a thought.

Oh yes, I didn't see that on the list during the setup.  You know, that window that lists what is getting installed.  Just like the Google stuff isn't on the list, IF it is to be installed.  But that's in another thread I started.  Sorry.  Seems not ALL information is so readily forthcoming from Avast before the final click to install.  Not so good, in my not so important opinion.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 02:00:18 AM »
WebRep does not show when a member is online. WebRep allows a user to rate a website they visit. It is based entirely on popularity and has nothing to do with security. The same goes for any avast user, if the user likes a site they can vote for it, conversely if they dislike a website. The mere fact that you figured out how to disable WebRep shows how easy it is to do so. Whether or not you leave it on or disable WebRep remember it really doesn't take up much HDD space. As far as Chrome goes I noticed it right away. Anymore when you install software beware of "options" during the set-up phase. Anyway, I hope your avast is up and running.  :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »
First, to beg, I saw many chapters would be unwise to use of cleaning agents to break the computer.
Some people do not use registry cleaners due to the fact that some do more harm than good. Personally I have found CCleaner to be safe even for the novice. Some cleaners go way too deep while CCleaner does not do a deep clean. Using CCleaner after uninstalling software is a good idea. But that's my opinion. Like you there are others who disagree with me. And I'm okay with that. To each his own.  :)

I tried Glary Utilities and found it did more harm than good. I have since uninstalled Glary Utilities and used CCleaner to clean-up the left overs.  :)