Author Topic: Avast disables Universal Shield (Lock folder software)  (Read 3419 times)

kad_911

Avast disables Universal Shield (Lock folder software)
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »
Hello I have a big problem after I installed avast 7...
 I'm using Universal Shield 4.7 to secure my private files and folders. It hides and password protects the required stuff. But after I installed Avast 7, it doesn't work!
 When I run Universal Shield, Its not running in sandbox mode. And when I enable protection, the required files and folders disappear (hides) as they should be. But as soon as I refresh the window, they reappear! And Avast doesnt even give any notification about this.
 I tried adding universal shield to Sandbox exclusions, firewall exclusions and etc.!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease HELP!!!!

Thanx...

EDIT: It only happens to the files and folders in C: Drive. Stuff in all the other drives gets the given permissions. But I need the files in C:\ to be protected using this software too. Please help.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:09:04 AM by kad_911 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast disables Universal Shield (Lock folder software)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
Are you getting any errors/alerts or pop-ups, etc. ?

You could also set the Behavior Shield to Ask and see if that is blocking it or check its log (see ### below), as that may fall under the banner of "Monitor the system for unauthorised modifications" see image example.

Note: I would make an exception for the Program Files folder for AVAST Software as the avast Self-Defence module might have something to say about that.

###
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt (X) or C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\BehaviorShield.txt (Vista, win7)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:14:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kad_911

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
 in the behaviour shield log file, it says about this software,

4/5/2012 12:09:49 PM   Modification of: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\US30Sys\DisplayName
    By:  C:\DOCUME~1\KADINV~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\0PP45H69\ushield\plugins\0\CustomUI.dll
    Via: H:\Universal.Shield.v4.7\Setup\ushield.exe
         -> Action allowed

And what do you mean by this?
Note: I would make an exception for the Program Files folder for AVAST Software as the avast Self-Defence module might have something to say about that.

There's something I can do about the self defense module if thats what causing this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
1. avast has recognised that the ...\ushield\plugins\0\CustomUI.dll was making a system modification (registry) which was called by H:\Universal.Shield.v4.7\Setup\ushield.exe, but that the action was allowed not blocked.

What is your H drive ?

2. avast has a self-defence module to protect its files and folders, so if an external program/malware tried to modify then it would block them (but you would see that as it would grey out the screen and show a warning.

You can't add exceptions to the self-defence module. That is why I said if you can exclude/ make an exception for the avast folders from/in the Universal Shield (lock folders) then there is less likelihood of a clash between the two.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »
I guess a few experiments would be needed...
- what if you disable all the shields, does it help? If so, can you find the particular one (by disabling one by one) that's responsible?
- does disabling the self-defense help? (even though I wouldn't really expect that)

kad_911

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:18 AM »
hello..
 i find this weird...
 i disabled self defense module and tried it. but still didnt work.

then I disabled all shields while self defense module was disabled.. STILL it didnt work!! How can this be??

I then tried uninstalling avast. Then it worked. So im sure Avast is doing it, but cant figure out how to fix it..

kad_911

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
bump allowed?

kad_911

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
So even Avast doesn't know whats going on?