Author Topic: Download prompts and updates bringing computer to standstill  (Read 2076 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Download prompts and updates bringing computer to standstill
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
For the few days I've been getting 17 DIFFERENT "prompts" for 17 DIFFERENT Avast "downloads" when not dialed-in. (2ND ATTACHMENT IS AN EXAMPLE "DOWNLOAD351.AVAST.COM")

The prompts will be for me to "connect" for "Avast.###download.com" where the "###" will be a different 3 digit number each time.

SEVENTEEN DIFFERENT DOWNLOADS IS SOMETHING NEW (never had these prompts for downloads numbered like this before)

What has changed?

What are these 17 "downloads"?

Is there a Avast SETTING for DAIL-UP so that these "DOWNLOADS" will only be requested WHEN CONNECTED (dialed-in)?

OR

If advisable and the answer to the question above is "NO" then can these "download" requests be turned off or be made "manual"?

Today essentially nothing worked dialing into EITHER of my providers.  But after disconnecting and after getting one more of the "download requests" and "canceling the request" and then redialing and connecting again I got the message from Avast that the "Virus Update" failed, AT THAT POINT EVERYTHING WORKED FINE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. (also ATTACHED is the Avast "Virus update failure" message).  So it would appear that once Avast "failed" to update I have NO MORE ISSUES as far as the system getting bogged down.

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:03:20 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Download prompts and updates bringing computer to standstill
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »
Is there a Avast SETTING for DAIL-UP so that these "DOWNLOADS" will only be requested WHEN CONNECTED (dialed-in)?
yes..... do you have a dial up connection ?

see bottom of screenshot #54

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Avast-Home-Edition-Screenshot-6474.html

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: Download prompts and updates bringing computer to standstill
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
yes..... do you have a dial up connection ?

see bottom of screenshot #54

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Avast-Home-Edition-Screenshot-6474.html

Thanks for the reply.

I have Update Settings (SEE ATTACHED) set for "I only connect to the Internet using a dial up modem" (I know about this) and I only have "Virus Definition" Updates as "Automatic" (program updates are set to "ask").

It makes no difference. I still get all of the "download" and/or "program update" prompts when not dialed in and connected.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:13:47 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.