Author Topic: after installing Avast 7 Free, pc doesn´t boot properly, freezes on logo  (Read 6900 times)

eblurr

Free Avast 7 Free version

It was after updating pc hardware, this is the new one:
Dual Core G620 2.6Ghz 3 MB LGA 1155
 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
operating system: windows xp sp3.
No previous antivirus installed,just after a clean windows installation and drivers installed,  , when I boot the computer the system freezes on windows logo, so no desktop loaded.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

iroc9555

To start.Register your free copy of or added to Pro license key. Even the key to upgrade from an older version. Check the results. If for any reason, you is not resolved, try anyway to do in safe mode Step 3.

Nothing to do with register Avast!. Windows does not start after Avast! installation.

@Tech

eblurr.

Been there. Done that. Is it Spanish and English double posting if not satisfied with answer given ?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=97356.0

ebozzz

This has happened to me a few times after the release of a significant update. What I have found that has worked for me is the following:

1. Boot into safe mode with networking.
2. Now enter the control panel.
3. Select Add/Remove Progams or Programs & Features (depending on your OS).
4. Find the listing for Avast.
5. Select the change option.
6. Perform a repair.

After completing the above steps, my issues were resolves on each occurrence.....

eblurr

Yes, I posted on spanish forum, I did here too for having a wider range of suggestions. Spanish advisors are doing well.  I take your suggestion and I will post here the solution. Thank you very much for your fast and kind reply.

iroc9555

You can follow ebozzz advice and repair Avast!. I do not know why you have to do it in safe mode with networking though. BTW if you already installed Avast! and ran aswclear a few times and still Windows hangs at boot I do not think a repair will do better.

You still got to answer a few questions in the Spanish forum.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:17:04 PM by iroc9555 »

eblurr

Finally I got the solution!   I took into account the following advices:

Check all security patches,; everthing was ok , so changes made.

- install Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) , that was installed previously , so no changes made.

- NET Framework 1.1.I had higher versions, but not 1.1 , so installed it.

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, I installed it.

After  that, restart pc and I updated pc drivers, intel chipset(not needed) and NVDIA graphic card driver.

Next, download and install Avast 7 free from official web.

After that, system loaded sucessfully but freezes after avast is loaded and stay resident.

My last action, use msconfig.exe to disable all resident programs except avast, to avoid any potential conflict between them.

Now system is working fine...

I post it here if can help anybody with similar problem.

Thank you very much Tech, ebozzz and iroc955 for your kind help, fast and professional assistance even being a free version.