Author Topic: No email scan or Boot up?  (Read 15280 times)

Andyslogos

No email scan or Boot up?
« on: December 17, 2004, 10:38:13 PM »
Hi there
I've just changed over from AVG 6 cos the new 7 is rubbish but I am having some set up problems.
My emails are not being scanned,the icon does not move,no scan 'note' is on the email( box is checked!) & scan count is always zero. (Outlook Express)
I have rerun the set up wizard & tried both automatic & manual set up, both say email is set up when finished but it doesn't work.
In the help is says from 4.5 on it is automatic for windows NT,XP etc, but it doesn't mention 98 which I am.I tried setting it up using the instructions but if you change the server to 127..(whatever it says) I OBVIOUSLY just get a login error message because that is not my serever address.( I had this at first with avg7, reset my server accounts correctly manaually & then it worked but avast won't)

SECONDLY, Avg has a boot up scanner avast on mine doesn't, is that correct?

LASTLY I am totally confused about this VRDB why does it need it? Avg DOESN'T have it and it must have removed dozens of viruses of my PC perfectly everytime.
Is it just an emergency thing? & I can 'disconnect it' safely and it still remove viruses?(also how much space does the file take up?)

REALLY LASTLY!! when you install a program you shut down the running ones in system tray yes! they all have an exit if you right click but avast doesn't HOW DO YOU SHUT IT DOWN? Is 'stop on access' enough?, yet the icon remanes.

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on any of the above.Thanks in advance
Best regards
Andy
ps Avg6 scanned 3.4gb in 13 minutes avast takes 18-19, is that because it does a better job or it's just slower?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:No email scan or Boot up?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 10:47:21 PM »
Setup your mail as if Avast isn't there, than run the mail protection wizzard.

SECONDLY, Avg has a boot up scanner avast on mine doesn't, is that correct?
Avast sure has the option for a boot time scan.
Start Avast > Menu > Shedule bootscan

VRDB is short for Virus Recovery DataBase. Avast is using this database to repair/restore certain files if they get infected with malware.

Time that a scan takes, varies. It depends on your system and the settings in Avast. eg if you have enable archive scan or have selected thorough scan it will take more time.

Since you are a new user I suggest you read the help (start > programs > Avast > help), read the website (FAQ and other pages) and threads on this board to get familiar with Avast, its settings and the possibillyties.

Andyslogos

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 10:56:18 PM »
Hi Eddy
Firstly on the emails, I've already done what you suggested a hundred times ,It doesn't work

On the Boot up scanner, On my menu it's not highlighted so I can't 'select it.

On the VRDB I understand what it is, I do read the helpfiles, what I was asking is If I don't do the files can avast still remove the viruses as AVG can?

Thanks for the reply Andy

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 11:38:18 PM »
Firstly on the emails, I've already done what you suggested a hundred times ,It doesn't work
What is the exact error you are getting, cause this should work.

Little mistake from my site. Boot scan is only possible on NT based systems, not on 9x / ME systems. This is not a problem by Avast, but due to the way Windows is working. If you want to do a scan without the OS loading, you can do so using Avast for DOS (FREEWARE!) or with the B.A.R.T. cd.

On the VRDB I understand what it is, I do read the helpfiles, what I was asking is If I don't do the files can avast still remove the viruses as AVG can?
Ofcourse Avast can do that. It is after all a av application, but with the vrdb it can do its job even better. And not only removing infections, but also restoring infected files which AVG (and others) can't.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 11:39:28 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 01:14:01 AM »

It's only available in Windows NT plataforms (2k or XP).

avast Cleaner uses the VRDB information to repair even more infections that AVG can't as it does not have this technology. Avast will detect the virus but some of them could only be repaired with VRDB.

Do you need help in any specific point?
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Did you uninstall AVG before installing avast?
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

Andyslogos

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 02:13:29 PM »
Hi Eddy & 'Technical'
Thanks for the help that's alot clearer ;-)

Yes The help I do need is on the email Is doesn't scan it!
I did uninstall avg & reboot before I attempted to install avast.I would like to make it clear that Avast installed & set up perfectly first time a works OK as far as I can tell, It just doesn't scan emails even though I've tried everything 'under the sun' to get it to do it.

If havn't tried the 'repair' option (as it's ok can't see how it will help) BUT I will try that as soon as I finish here.

IF (when, I hope!) I can get it to scan the emails with your help will it scan emails that go into my email 'alert' program (poppeeper) That is set up exaclty the same as my outlook express accounts (ports 25&110?)

Thanks for now I'll post back with results from the repair/uninstall before you waste your time on another reply.
Cheers Andy :-)

Andyslogos

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 02:48:17 PM »
Hi again
I've just 'repaired' avast & made no difference.
I shut down all running programes & uninstalled it & then rebooted, Shut down all running programs * re insatlled, and email set up wizard set to automatic and installed ok, then rebooted AND STILL NO EMAIL SCAN.
The default setting is NOT to leave a meassge on 'clean' emails so this box IS checked so it sholud leave a message and the Icon doesn't move which I gather it should.
Just to try I shutdown my email 'alert' program and that made no difference.
Any ideas?
Thanks Andy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 01:44:28 AM »
Andyslogos, at which ports your email client is listening?
I mean, do you use pop3 at 110 and smtp at 25 (default values)?
Do you use any spam killer?

avast does not scan automatically under Windows 98.
You must run Mail Protection Wizard: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=display;board=2;threadid=7913;start=0#msg64228

Andyslogos

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 03:19:32 PM »
Hi Technical
Firstly I do no want to come across as being rude because I appreciate any help but please read my first post carefully.
I am NOT STUPID, before I posted I read your faq's all the help files lots of the forum and would not post before I did.I Know 98 is not automatic and as I have already mentioned I have used the email setup wizard a hundreds times BOTH AUTOMATICALLY & MANUALLY,it says it's done it BUT IT DOESN'T WORK******.

As for your questions yes I just use the default ports that outlook express sets itself up with when you create an account 25&110 (pop3) and I DO NOT have any kind of spam killer either on my PC or on my internet provider.

On your FAQ's it says about setting up the email accounts and says that your should have them as 'standard' then let the wizard set them up and it will change the settings but the account settings are ALWAYS the same afterwards.Also in the help files in Avast in goes on about setting them up manually and goes on about an avast ini file(that is set up how it says) and goes on about the ports being 127....

Again I do not mean to be rude but it is all very unclear and very poor, one minute it's all automatic on one thing you read then on another it requires manual set up !
EITHER WAY I have tried EVERYTHING i CAN READ AND NO ONE IS TELLING ME ANYTHING THAT IS NOT ALREADY WRITTEN ON THE WEBSITE.
I am not in the habbit of wasting peoples time, I try everything first.
I guess if it can't do it I will have to go back to avg which I really don't won't to do.
Again I am sorry if any of the above comes across as little agressiveBest regards
Andy

Andyslogos

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 03:24:30 PM »
Hi there
Sorry I forgot to ask you this

Why does my firewall tell me that Avast keeps wanting to access the internet?

It is NOT set up for automatic updates of either the virus database or the program & it is registered to me so it has NO need for access, I am VERY UNTRUSTWORHTY of programs that keep doing this ;-)
Andy

lee16

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 04:57:41 PM »
Andy

Are you setting up avast to scan your mail with the 'Internet mail' or 'outlook/ Exchange' provider?

Avast keeps wanting to access the internet

What exactly is trying to access the internet?, is it ashmaiSv.exe by any chance?

--lee
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 04:58:00 PM by lee16 »

Andyslogos

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 05:06:55 PM »
Hi Lee
I use Internet mail which is what they say to use if you use Outlook express, outlook exchange is for Ms outlook.Anyway I've tried both obviously ;-)

The program is ashServ.exe (but I don't know if it's that everytime, thats just the last one I noted)

Andy ;-)

lee16

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 05:23:22 PM »
use Internet mail which is what they say to use if you use Outlook express, outlook exchange is for Ms outlook.Anyway I've tried both obviously

Ok, i was just making sure you wasn't using Outlook/ Exchange ( a common mistake), also have you tryed shutting down your firewall while receving mail to make sure thats not the problem (what firewall is it btw?)

Also could your try sending the eicar test file to yourself please to make sure that avast definatly isn't scanning your mail.

ashServ.exe manages avast on your system, providers such as mail and chest, it may be the internet mail trying to access the internet.

--lee

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 05:31:44 PM »
Why using poppeeper while OE already have a option to notify you when new mail arrives?
What happens if you setup the mail without poppeeper installed?

Have you read THIS THREAD? I think it is about the same for poppeeper.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 05:35:07 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 06:24:43 PM »
Why using poppeeper while OE already have a option to notify you when new mail arrives?

Where is it?
Are you talking about the sound that plays when we have mail...?
This sound only will be played if the email is in fact downloded.
Some applications do only the check if there is new mail...
Are you saying that OE could do only the check without the download itself?