Author Topic: No email scan or Boot up?  (Read 15277 times)

Andyslogos

Re:No email scan or Boot up?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 06:48:43 PM »
Hi All
Firstly Lee, I use Sygate firewall & surely if that was blocking it I wouldn't get any mail at all? But I will try it, as for the test file I don't know what that is but I will find it and have a go THANKS

I didn't know OE could notify you about new emails Eddy UNLESS it is permanently running, also in OE you CANNOT delete emails (ie spam) without opening them which is b****y CRAZY in poppeeper you can !
I did actually UNINSTALL poppeeper and reboot then retried the wizard to see if it was that but no difference.I didn't really understand that link you gave me,didn't see the relevance(sorry I'm not to bright ;-)
 KEEP the ideas coming !!
Andy (starting to get fed up ;-)

Andyslogos

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 07:12:41 PM »
Hi Lee
I've just tried turning of the firewall, no difference.
I tried that eicar test file, first I downloaded and scanned each individually and avast got them all even the double zipped file, thats nice to know it does work(Iwas wondering ! God it's like being in a James Bond movie when it finds one ;-)

Then I sent one through the email and nothing happened (should it anyway ?) I selected to open the attachment and it then got it straight away but that was the resident shield working & not the email scanner.

So I'm happy with Avast it just doesn't scan the damn emails.

Andy

lee16

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 09:12:44 PM »
The only thing i can think of is either OE or Avast was some how misconfigerd/setup, could you try checking your settings please.

--lee

GYL

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 09:40:58 PM »
Hi!Andyslogos.I don"t know if it will resolve your issue,but avast! and sygate 5.6 are not compatible on my pc (xp pro) but all is good with sygate 5.5.What is your sygate version?

Andyslogos

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 10:25:06 PM »
Hi All
I've checked all the settings milion times Lee ;-)

Hi GYL, that's really funny you say that, I'm getting rather 'irate' about all this cos I updated to the new AVG and they've screwed it up (full of bugs) and the next day I updated Sygate from 5.5 to 5.6 and guess what , they've totally screwed that up to !!
If you look on the Sygate forum EVERYONE is having trouble with it, it locks up your internet connection or just crashes, so it's not that it's not compatible with Avast it's just that it's C**P and shouldn't have been released.Luckily cos of my problem with AVG I kept the 5.5 set up so just reinstalled it.BUT A BIG THANKS FOR THAT POST cos I might not have known about that :-)

Come on someone must be able to figure out whats wrong, am I the only one the email doesn't scan for ;-(

Thanks all
Andy.
p.s. is anyone else having trouble with this forum 'breaking up' ? I have to refresh it a hundred times.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2004, 10:35:32 PM »
is anyone else having trouble with this forum 'breaking up' ?
Working fine for me. Starting to look like your system is a mess.

Andyslogos

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 06:46:10 PM »
Hi
I am writing to say a BIG THANKS to Vojtech at Avast technical for sorting out my email problem.

There is NOTHING WRONG WITH MY SYSTEM Avast is now scanning in/out going emails perfectly thanks to Vojtech giving me the correct settings for Outlook Express.

ON WIN 98 (Mine anyway) The wizard does not work and the  settings for OE ARE NOT THE DEFAULT ones.
If someone is having trouble with 98 email scanning (lack of it)they are welcome to contact me.

Thanks for the people who did try to help me but I havn't changed my opinion that Forums are a waste of time.

Happy xmas to ALL
Best regards
Andy  :-*

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 07:04:23 PM »
Why not post your solution here so everyone can read it?
It may be usefull information for others as well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 07:06:28 PM »
There is NOTHING WRONG WITH MY SYSTEM Avast is now scanning in/out going emails perfectly thanks to Vojtech giving me the correct settings for Outlook Express.ยด

We're glad to know.

ON WIN 98 (Mine anyway) The wizard does not work and the  settings for OE ARE NOT THE DEFAULT ones.

Can't you post them? So, this way, all users could learn with them.

Thanks for the people who did try to help me but I havn't changed my opinion that Forums are a waste of time.

Why do you think forums are a waste of time?  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Andyslogos

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 08:10:53 PM »
Hi
I was waiting until eveything was 100% first till I posted the 'results' but since I'm getting 'badgered' I'll give the first 'set up'

THIS IS FOR WIN 98
If you run the wizard when installing setup or afterwards it seems to set up the avast4.ini OK so I won't mention that again ! As for Outlook Express here goes....

Using ports 25 & 100 with an email address fred.bloggs@tiscali.co.uk

These are the settings for Outlook in ACCOUNTS/Servers

Incoming mail.....127.0.0.1
Outgoing mail.....127.0.0.1
Account name...fred.bloggs@tiscali.co.uk#pop.tiscali.co.uk
OUTGOING MAIL SERVER
My server requires authentication...YES
Click Settings then 'Log on using'
Account name...fred.bloggs@tiscali.co.uk#smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Password...your password. OK
Click APPLY !!!

Set up as above for different email address's

These settings will make emails scan in & outgoing on win98 for Outlookx Express.

Currently I am trying to get it to scan emails through my suplementary email alert program, when ( if !!) I get the correct settings to do this I will post them too.

I hope this may be of some help to someone.

Andy ;-)

Andyslogos

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 12:01:45 AM »
LAST POST (I hope !!)

Re email 'alert' program (In my case Pop peeper)
The help files go on about changing port no's if you have more than one type of pop/smtp program on your PC so it can work 'in between' them  ???

Well I gave up on that, left the avast4ini file as above, deleted my accounts in my email 'alert' program and then just re ran the wizard in that (NOT avast!) so the settings were then the same as above Outlook settings and now ALL email in ALL programs in scanned, 'Thank god for that!!'
 ;D ;D ;D
Long live Avast, down with AVG (No offence Grisoft!)
END OF STORY AND VERY LONG BORING POST!
Andy
 ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2004, 12:49:35 AM »
If your email alert not only alerts but downloads itself the mail, well, the configuration could be more complicated.
Glad your system is fine.
The format name...fred.bloggs@tiscali.co.uk#smtp.tiscali.co.uk is ok when you need all the email (with server) to login and not only name...fred.bloggs  ;)

Oh, you forgot to answer...
Why do you think forums are a waste of time?  :-\
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:50:16 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

rosymouse

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2004, 06:13:08 AM »
If you go to the proper part of the forum, it will tell you, the new Avast only runs on XP SP2, I would think you need to start using XP as windows 98 is no longer being updated by Microsoft.
Hugs rosymouse :-*

Breeze530

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2004, 01:56:19 PM »
I'm using Win ME & Avast! keeps changing my pop & smtp settings to the ones you mentioned.  However, when this happened I can no longer send mail because it says the server doesn't recognize me.  I end up having to change the settings back to normal, but then may mail doesn't get scanned.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bev

Alobar

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2004, 06:38:24 AM »
am I the only one the email doesn't scan for ;-(

I just switched from AVG to Avast this afternoon.  e-mail saan works fine here.   I am on Win-XP pro with K9 anti-spam and Kerio Personal firewall.

Alobar