Author Topic: Babylon search toolbar virus  (Read 47322 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Babylon search toolbar virus
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 02:17:48 AM »
In the meantime could I use the various other features (which I don't understand)of Old Timer to backup other attempts to "fix" the problem?  Or is it better to use it purely to scan and generate a "passive" log?

Essexboy will use OTL to kill the malware.....if he see any in the Log, and depending on malware type
but you need to be trained in this to create the OTL fix......if not you may create paper weight

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »
If you do not know what you are removing with OTL it could mess up your day

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »
I don't know what I am removing - other than that it goes by the name of Babylon - so I will do nothing and await the results of the log scan.  Tks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
Sorry about that I missed that you posted the logs

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
    :OTL
    [2011/12/10 23:43:51 | 000,002,310 | ---- | M] () -- C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\searchplugins\babylon.xml
    [2010/10/08 16:38:59 | 000,008,156 | ---- | C] () -- C:\WINDOWS\_000007_.tmp.dll
    [2010/10/08 16:38:56 | 000,007,860 | ---- | C] () -- C:\WINDOWS\_000005_.tmp.dll
    [2010/10/08 16:37:07 | 000,007,170 | ---- | C] () -- C:\WINDOWS\_000006_.tmp.dll

:Files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
    [purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
Tks, will do as soon as Christmas commitments permit.  Assume that it would be wise to create a restore point for safety before starting?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
OTL will set a restore point for you

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »
I should have seen that in the text. 
I also noticed that it seems that OTE is being instructed to search Mozilla Firefox files.  Previously following a tip I got from another forum (before coming here!) I was able to stop Babylon appearing when running Firefox.  Since then it has only been apparent when opening a new tab in IE 8.  I will run your fix and report back but I wonder if it will also sus the thing out if it is hiding in IE 8?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 07:16:21 PM »
Nothing was showing within the IE area

Telegraph_Sam

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 01:45:01 AM »
Not there yet I fear.  I re-ran OTE with your new text pasted in. Pop-up screen appeared "Cannot create file C:\Documents and Settings\Iain\Desktop\cmd.bat".  Program seemed to abort at this point
I tried again.  Screen popped up entitled 01012012_002757.log-Notepad.
"Files\Folders moved on Reboot ..
Registry entries deleted on Reboot ..."
Again the program seemed to abort.

I tried again.  Same result as first attempt.

So far there has been no reboot but I am about to switch the PC off since the task has stretched into the New Year! Happy New Year to anyone reading.

dantheman72

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »
recently lost files for the 4th time  this time..babylon toolbar  avast and malware bytes failed to remove it or detect  and would hang up /crash if it did detect  it....hmmm   why ?  i use the sandbox like good kitteh and no pron sites  so  how/why  this  my  worry?

Dimex

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
Can anybody tell me why Avast does not detect Babylon Search (we have a paid Avast subscription for at least 7 systems) and I cannot get in touch with technical support -because we don't have a  password....

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
Can anybody tell me why Avast does not detect Babylon Search (we have a paid Avast subscription for at least 7 systems) and I cannot get in touch with technical support -because we don't have a  password....

no solution today has 100% detection of all malware out there. hopfully someone send in a sample of that to avast lab so they could add it.

to your problem its better you start your own thred in the future but i suggest to send an email to the support team im not sure there email hope someone will give you a hand on that.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Gargamel360

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »
Can anybody tell me why Avast does not detect Babylon Search
It might detect it....if you enable scanning for PuP (Potentially Unwanted Programs), because that is what such toolbars are, not malicious infections.   PuP scanning is off by default, since the average user does not understand what PuP means, they want everything to be VIRUS or NOT VIRUS.

Dimex

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
Thanks, Evangelist. Ok, during loading not maybe but after it has installed itself a sort of repairsuggestion? I now had to use Spybot S&D which worked well but I try to avoid ''too many virus utilities''', especially the shareware ones, they make me feel guilty, -Andre-