Author Topic: Inability to use right click context menu scan  (Read 3245 times)

4sak3n

Inability to use right click context menu scan
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:37:03 PM »
After being notified that my license period was about to expire I attempted to renew it by clicking the in-client button. When that failed to do anything at all beyond putting up a spinning timer and disappearing with no results, I upgraded to version 7.0.1426 hoping that this would fix the problem. It did not. And in fact it created all sorts of other problems!

I used the offline method of renewing my license but now am no longer able to selectively scan files by selecting the scan option from the windows context menu which appears when I right click on a file. The option is still there but when I click it nothing happens. This was an option I frequently use, on an hourly if not daily basis and the fact that it is no longer working is a severe problem.

Has anyone experienced this or know how to fix it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Inability to use right click context menu scan
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Have you rebooted since renewing - If not try that.

- If that doesn't work - Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

4sak3n

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

;D

Yes, I had rebooted after upgrading to version 7. I tried the repair option you suggested with no results whatsoever.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »
With version upgrade issues, I really suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

4sak3n

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
That solved the problem, thank you.

Although it should be noted that I am still unable to register through the client and had to instead resort to using the key I had obtained through email by the "offline" process. You guys might want to look into that.

Thanks once again!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
Thanks once again!
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.