Author Topic: Can Avast! Pro co-exist with MS Security Essentials?  (Read 30444 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Can Avast! Pro co-exist with MS Security Essentials?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »

Now, when one disables real-time MSE the only tool remaining is an on-demand tool.

As already mentioned by AntiVirusASeT that even with being disabled there are still low level active drivers that may conflict so as advised dont install two AV's, dont know why your arguing this as your not going to win ::)

If you had read the thread correctly

Not only should you remove your current anti-malware product(s), you should also uninstall any free or trial anti-malware products that may have been installed on your PC when purchased, even if never activated.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:34:50 PM by craigb »

ManyQs

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »
Winning!?  What are you on about!?

It is clearly written that it is two real-time scanning tools that is the problem.  And it is also clearly written that one on-demand and one real-time scanning tool is not a problem.

Now that page was provided as being the page to go to for the information needed and that is what is written.

You think it's an accident that there is a very clear distinction between the "real-time" and 'on-demand" tool in every reference to a scanning tool?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
The on demand tools they are suggesting can be used are programs such as Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes isnt an AV

Gargamel360

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »
You are always free to try having 2 installed AVs.  Active or not.

You are free to try other things also, like; try out for the Olympics....swim the breadth of the English Chanel....climb Mount Everest....or if you just want to stick to computing, running a sandbox inside a virtual machine that is running in a sandbox.   

All these things you are free to try.   Some will even rise to the challenge and succeed.   But for most people, "free to try" ends up meaning "free to fail".   

The real challenge seems to be finding a resident AV that will shut off all real-time features, and stay off through all times it is installed.  They are not made with this in mind.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 08:48:59 PM »
Another Quote from the same link since you cant seem to find the correct reading material

Can I have more than one real-time anti-malware product installed?

No.  Having more than one real-time anti-malware product installed will compete with other anti-malware product(s), and can cause severe performance problems and system instability issues, and may limit the effectiveness of the products installed.  Even if you attempt to have more than one product installed, with one active and another disabled, the disabled product will likely still have active components and/or drivers installed that will conflict with MSE.  The important issue here is that any other product with real-time scanning will conflict with MSE (or any other real-time product).

ManyQs

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »

You are free to try other things also, like; try out for the Olympics....swim the breadth of the English Chanel....climb Mount Everest....or if you just want to stick to computing, running a sandbox inside a virtual machine that is running in a sandbox.   

I don't understand the use of sarcasm, except if it's meant as a tool to begin a slide into just plain gutter language and meanness.  I'm afraid I don't have the stomach for foul mannered people, thank you.

Nesivos

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
Use the Windows Services GUI to disable MSE or far better just uninstall it. :)
You might get away with it being disabled in that mannor for a while but there is still the chance of avast detecting it, much safer with it removed completely.

Dat tru :)

Gargamel360

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
I don't understand the use of sarcasm, except if it's meant as a tool to begin a slide into just plain gutter language and meanness.  I'm afraid I don't have the stomach for foul mannered people, thank you.
Sarcasm?  And here I was trying to throw water on the fire a little.   Make a good-natured joke.   Use some metaphor to extrapolate.  Even partially support your opinion.  Sorry if I offended. 

Even water is flammable to someone who is having a bad day.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 09:02:59 PM »
Gargamels post had nothing foul mannered about it but i can seriously understand peoples frustration with you as where offering the correct advice and then someone like yourself comes along and argues that where wrong when you dont have a clue what you talking about.

This topic needs to be locked

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
This topic needs to be locked

The OP has not replied yet.

Quote from: ManyQs
It does not need to be uninstalled.  All that needs to be done is to turn off "Realtime Protection".  Please give correct advice!
It is clearly written that it is two real-time scanning tools that is the problem.  And it is also clearly written that one on-demand and one real-time scanning tool is not a problem.
Quote from: AntiVirusASeT
NO! disabling realtime protection only is INSUFFICIENTas it could still possibly leave low level drivers of MSE running.

these drivers could STILL conflict with Avast! drivers, causing potential problems like freezes or BSOD.

please uninstall MSE
Where is the Microsoft documentation to support your claim?
Quote from: Charyb
Right here -> http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/89.aspx

Maybe you should do your homework before accusing someone of giving incorrect advice.
Every reference on that site indicates "real-time".  Here's what is indicated regarding on-demand.

Quote:
Can I have more than one real-time anti-malware product installed?

No.  Having more than one real-time anti-malware product installed will compete with other anti-malware product(s), and can cause severe performance problems and system instability issues, and may limit the effectiveness of the products installed.  Even if you attempt to have more than one product installed, with one active and another disabled, the disabled product will likely still have active components and/or drivers installed that will conflict with MSE.  The important issue here is that any other product with real-time scanning will conflict with MSE (or any other real-time product).

Case closed.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

kevphil

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 12:52:40 AM »
I didn't mean to start a war!  Currently, I will limp along with MSSE disabled and see what happens: No problems for the last week or so. I like to still have MSSE for the occasional targeted scan, just as confirmation. MSSE worked great for me for a long while, until a Sun Java update (which I don't even recall having downloaded and installed) became infected (according to Avast! Pro).

Thanks, Dch48, for the tip on disabling Avast! Pro temporarily.

I consider the topic closed. I DO really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Nesivos

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 01:21:01 AM »
I didn't mean to start a war!  Currently, I will limp along with MSSE disabled and see what happens: No problems for the last week or so. I like to still have MSSE for the occasional targeted scan, just as confirmation. MSSE worked great for me for a long while, until a Sun Java update (which I don't even recall having downloaded and installed) became infected (according to Avast! Pro).

Thanks, Dch48, for the tip on disabling Avast! Pro temporarily.

There are numerous very good second opinion options for performing targeted scans of files and folders and none of them involve running the respective programs in real-time including Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpryware and Slim Cleaner.   All three will do a targeted file and folder scan by right clicking on the file or folder you want to scan.

You can also use the VirusTotal for a single file scan

https://www.virustotal.com/

In addition if you like MSE you might to consider using "MSFT Safety Scanner"

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

The drawback with MSS is that you have to re-download it every 10 days or so to have the MSS file with the latest malware definitions.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »
@ManyQs: u did not read the whole article... theres one part which says this.

quote: "1.     Can I have more than one real-time anti-malware product installed?

No.  Having more than one real-time anti-malware product installed will compete with other anti-malware product(s), and can cause severe performance problems and system instability issues, and may limit the effectiveness of the products installed. Even if you attempt to have more than one product installed, with one active and another disabled, the disabled product will likely still have active components and/or drivers installed that will conflict with MSE.  The important issue here is that any other product with real-time scanning will conflict with MSE (or any other real-time product).

However, you can have an on-demand scanner, such as Malwarebytes, installed.  Malwarebytes offers two different scanners – one on-demand (free), and one real-time (paid).  The on-demand scanner does not conflict with MSE’s real-time scanning."

i hope this ends this once and for all...official statement from http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/89.aspx .
it even states specifically u can use malwarebytes on-demand :D (just how popular is it?)

edit: if u cannot find this quote, please scroll down the page to the faq section
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:01:46 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »

You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

cool jay

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
I have a play system and do daft things like run 2 antivirus programs just for fun and training.
And yes uninstall MSE have a look at AV Comparatives march 2012 and see the 7% IT DOES NOT CATCH.
For a second scan use hitman pro 3.6.
Regards
Cool Jay