Author Topic: Non-functioning Mail Shield--Avast Free v.1456  (Read 2335 times)

NCBubba

Non-functioning Mail Shield--Avast Free v.1456
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Hello all,

I have used Avast Free since probably V5, maybe even V4 and have never had a problem with email scanning.  Since the new update, it doesn't appear that any email, inbound or outbound has been scanned, i.e.,  Mail Shield shows 0/0 scanned and no popup shows in Outlook 2007, despite the fact that I have that option checked in the Avast email settings.  The Avast addons for Outlook are enabled and working fine now.  I'm not sure what's happened.  I've removed Avast with the removal tool (3 versions I might add) and have tried installing both normally and in safe mode ... nothing has worked so far. 

I do use MailWasher Pro, but that shouldn't be affecting it any, it's using the same ports that Outlook uses for both the Pop3 (110) and SMTP (25).  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks--DB

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Non-functioning Mail Shield--Avast Free v.1456
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
Note avast's Mail Shield would scan the email traffic to MailWasher:
- Personally as a mailwasher pro (2011) user I have avast IgnoreProcess for MailWasherProApp.exe. Since MailWasher doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only. Based on this I personally don't feel that any negligible risk worth scanning duplication, but the choice is yours.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file, [EmailScanner] section using using notepad:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (XP)
C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (Viste/Win7)
[EmailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=MailWasherProApp.exe add this line if you don't already have an IgnoreProcess line.

Save the changes to EmailShield.ini and exit, the avast self-defence module will ask are you sure about the changes, etc. answer Yes.

####
That however, shouldn't stop your email from being scanned in your email client, but give it a try and see.

You don't say what version of Outlook you are using ?
What happens if you disable the avast plug-in in Outlook (the ordinary Mail Shield should handle the email scanning) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Non-functioning Mail Shield--Avast Free v.1456
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »
@ DavidR
I have the same issue with my Outlook 2003 since last update. That is to say,
Neither does the Mail Shield scan my emails in or out but (as I've mentioned in Update thread)
the Avast Outlook Plugin Screen is no longer showing when exe. Outlook. :-\
I also use MW Pro v.6.5.4 (easier on my system then 2012) and have for Years with never a
conflict,
So I don't know, just waitng for fix update.....if there is one in the works. :P ;)

UPDATE: Ok, sorry I missed the MailShield settings so now Avast scans emails but still no Outlook Plug in Splash Screen Notice.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:06:17 PM by schmidthouse »