Author Topic: Avast 7 and windows 7 compatibility issues.  (Read 17041 times)

Kbland

Re: Avast 7 and windows 7 compatibility issues.
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »
had to switch back to 32 bit.  running in safe mode allowed me to download that patch.  Thanks for that input Asyn.  Will redownload all updates including language and let you know how that goes since I installed the patch.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 05:45:12 AM »
running in safe mode allowed me to download that patch.  Thanks for that input Asyn.

You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »
So I think I hit something.  After the first 10 language pack updates it stalls on the welcome screen.  After 5 minutes it finally logs in but then freezes again.  You can move the mouse but not access anything.  Then the mouse freezes after like 5 more minutes.  If I remove avast it works fine.  I hope this helps.

Do you need all the language packs? I never install any of them on any PC I work on. English only here. I could see installing the language packs if you were a developer running Ultimate. I hide all the language packs by right clicking each one and choosing hide so they are not in the way when doing updates.

Bill
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Kbland

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 02:53:21 AM »
I use the language packs.  Just did updates kb2656372,2656355,2633879,982670, microsoft silverlight, 972813,972813,2675157,2618451, and 2532531.  System completely froze up to the point of booting in safe mode and removing avast.  I had downloaded the fix, extracted it per instruction.  The patch did not work.  So it looks like the main issue has to do with one of these updates.

Kbland

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 04:19:47 AM »
So uninstalled which updates that I could, avast still causing problems.  Will have to rebuild and start again.  Going one update at a time this time.  I want to thank everyone for your help, I will let you know what I find.  I know it's not the language updates due to this happening on windows 7 pro too. Ran into that issue Tuesday with another computer.  I'm wondering where the tech that told me to create this thread is, along with why it took 45 minutes of waiting on hold for tech support and still no answer.  The other number that I found was to avast support pccare247 that is a third party that wants to charge you no matter if you pay for avast or not.  This is going to be the last rebuild, if issue not fixed I'm going to be switching myself as well as all the companies that our it company supports to another antivirus.

Kbland

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »
So I found that one of the issues is an update for the CCID smartcard reader.  There was another issue on a security update after that too.  Both caused Google chrome and IE to run 50 % of the CPU.  Remove avast and it works fine.  So after about 2 weeks of working on this, contacting forums, TRYING to get a hold of tech support, etc, I have found the solution to this issue.  My boss has informed me that too much time has been taken trying to solve this problem, which avast tech support should have taken care of or at least helped with.  So we will be going from avast to microsoft security essentials.  Only solution found.

hennypenny

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
I've been having issues with my brand new laptop (HP Envy, Win 7 Home Premium x64) after installing the latest AVAST free.  The boot time is longer than usual, it stands up but freezes in about 2-5 mins. I see the blue circle, can move the cursor but can't do ctrl+alt+del or anything.   

I thought there was a problem with Avast, bcos everything was fine when uninstalled it. But there is nothing wrong with it.

In this thread somebody reminded me to MSE and I felt like such a moron, cos I had the same problem before.  :-[   My new laptop came with MSE pre installed on it. Avast and MSE running together can cause freezing. Uninstalled MSE (who needs it anyway) and install Avast, it works fine for me.  ;D

Thanks!

Kbland

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
I have tried that before.  We are getting more issues with avast on more machines.  All machines are only running Avast.  They have been checked on everything else.