Author Topic: can someone explain to me what exactly happened here ?  (Read 3271 times)

parachutestx

can someone explain to me what exactly happened here ?
« on: December 19, 2004, 08:28:02 AM »
Ok I got this alert from Zonealarm and I was trying to find out if ZA ess saved me ?

ZoneAlarm Security Suite has prevented access to port 7000 on your computer

ZoneAlarm Security Suite stopped Internet or local network traffic from reaching your computer. No breach in your security has occurred. Your computer is safe.  
 What happened?  

ZoneAlarm Security Suite blocked what was most likely a port scan by a remote computer trying to find out if a Trojan horse is located on your machine. The scan attempted to communicate with port 7000 on your computer, which is rarely used by legitimate programs. Rest assured, ZoneAlarm Security Suite has determined that there is no Trojan horse listening on 7000 of your computer.

----------------------------------------------

ZoneAlarm Security Suite stopped Internet or local network traffic from reaching your computer. No breach in your security has occurred. Your computer is safe.  
  Inside the firewall alert  

Alert property Alert property value Technical explanation
Source IP Address 210.233.205.117 The IP address of the computer that sent the packet which caused the alert.  
Source Port 3022 The port used by the source computer when sending the packet.  
Destination IP 4.26.105.xxx The IP address of the computer to which the packet was sent.  
Destination Port 7000 The port on the destination computer used to receive the packet.  
TCP Flags SYN  Flag indicating the start of an Internet or network connection.  
Transport Layer Protocol TCP The protocol that allows data to be transported between software programs on different computers.  
Network Layer Protocol IP The protocol that allows two networked computers to locate each other on a network.  
Link Layer Protocol Ethernet The protocol that allows two directly linked computers to share a network cable.  
Alert Date Dec-18-2004 11:23:56 PM GMT-08:00 The time when ZoneAlarm Security Suite detected the alert on your computer.  
Alert Count 1 Number of times this connection attempt repeated its attempt on your machine after the original alert. ZoneAlarm Security Suite shields your machine from repeated displays of an identical alert.  

ZoneAlarm Security Suite security enforcement at time of alert  

Lock Level Lock Not Engaged Internet and network connections permitted by your ZoneAlarm Security Suite settings are not blocked by a lock setting.  
Trusted Zone Security Level High  This ZoneAlarm Security Suite setting blocks access from the Trusted Zone to file and printer shares (NetBIOS) and other operating system services. Ports not currently in use by a program are blocked and are not visible to the Trusted Zone. This Security Level also enforces application privileges and Internet Lock settings.  
Trusted Zone Servers Servers Allowed  Computers in your ZoneAlarm Security Suite Trusted Zone are not prevented from connecting to server programs running on your computer.  
Internet Zone Security Level High  This ZoneAlarm Security Suite setting blocks access from the Internet Zone to file and printer shares (NetBIOS) and other operating system services. Ports not currently in use by a program are blocked and are not visible to the Internet Zone. This Security Level also enforces application privileges and Internet Lock settings.  
Internet Zone Servers Servers Allowed  Computers in your ZoneAlarm Security Suite Internet Zone are not prevented from connecting to server programs running on your computer.  
Packet Direction Incoming  The packet that caused the alert was sent from a computer located somewhere on the Internet or on your network. It was being sent to your computer.  
Zone Internet Zone  This ZoneAlarm Security Suite zone contains all the computers and networks in the world that are connected to the Internet, until you explicitly define them as members of another zone.  
Operating system Windows XP-5.1.2600-Service Pack 2-SP  Version of operating system running on your computer

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:can someone explain to me what exactly happened here ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:22:58 PM »
Just ZA doing its work, nothing else.

lee16

Re:can someone explain to me what exactly happened here ?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 04:28:27 PM »
parachutestx

As Eddy said, its just Zonealarm doing whats it suppost to do, what it is telling you above is that ZA thinks that someone is port scanning your computer looking for a Trojan on there that a user could use to gain access to your computer, the port it was scanning was port '7000' which is rarely used by 'safe' programs, so ZA checked your program control section and determined there was no Trojan on your computer.

To sum it up, your computer is safe.

This answer your question?

--lee
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 04:31:43 PM by lee16 »