Author Topic: How to disable Avast's own popup ads?  (Read 62284 times)

nei1

Re: How to disable Avast's own popup ads?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

My thanks to fellow users -- more sensitive than I, who were quicker to complain to avast about all of the ads that have been bombarding us lately.

It is disturbing that the replies from avast representatives are so disingenuous.

From a senior member, whatever that credential means:

AntiVirusASeT - Sr. Member
> these popups happen rarely (about once every 3 months or longer).

More like once or twice a day.  I think my approximation is a little closer to reality than yours, and not so disingenuous.

> i have not seen a free antivirus with no ads...and u should not expect one with[out] ads...

No one said they expect a free antivirus "with[out] ads."  Thanks for disingenuously putting words in our mouths.  Avast, however, used to have hardly any ads at all.  So why shouldn't we expect one with hardly any ads at all when avast themselves demonstrated that we CAN expect it?

> also the popup is un-intrusive

When your users say that your ads are intrusive, you're just being argumentative with them when you say "no they're not."  The "Big Lie" works better with the uneducated, but that's not the cross section you'll find trying to maintain their computers and logging onto your forum.

The number of ads popping up has increased precipitously as of a few weeks ago.  That's why you're being called on it lately, and making believe that your new advertising policies aren't part of the problem demonstrates your selfish, defensive posture and unwillingness to listen.

You can generalize that your competitions' software is a "downgrade," but I'll read some objective reviews and switch to someone else's product -- confident that "different" is NOT a downgrade, after which I'll append my own comments about how, "... avast! was great for a couple of years, but now they pester us with pop-up ads, and get arrogant and call the users ungrateful when we complain about it..."

I would recommend that avast hire a public relations firm and LISTEN to their recommendations.  The computer programming entrepreneur behind the keyboard should NOT be allowed to talk to the customers.  You drive me away from using your software even more than the pop-up ads.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
They aren't avast representatives, but avast users like yourself.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

exitexit

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
@ oggolooggo

there's a giant pop-up in the corner once per day or so, offering me to buy their products.
That's a total exaggeration of what actually happens.

The occasional request to try either IS or the pro version isn't any big deal. After all,  you're receiving top notch protection
free of charge.
If it's that annoying, you can always downgrade your protection by changing to one of the other free AV programs.
I know that sounds a little harsh but it always rubs me the wrong way when ever someone moans about an occasional popup.
Simply close it and continue if you're not interested.  :)

If you are not botherd by pop-ups, good for you. But people are different, I myself don't like unnecessary popups generally and definitely not ads. Of principle, I will not defile my environment with ads unless I need to.

Switching AV to, say Windows Live Essentials, is not a downgrade. They are basically equal and WLE constitutes a perfect and also free alternative. One that doesn't spam you too, in their desperation to get you to buy something that you don't actually need.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
1. If you are not botherd by pop-ups, good for you. But people are different, I myself don't like unnecessary popups generally and definitely not ads. Of principle, I will not defile my environment with ads unless I need to.

2. Switching AV to, say Windows Live Essentials, is not a downgrade. They are basically equal and WLE constitutes a perfect and also free alternative. One that doesn't spam you too, in their desperation to get you to buy something that you don't actually need.

1. Well, I'm still waiting for one of these ads, as it never happened here.
2. Feel free to do so.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »
exitexit If you dont like the add's then thoroughly read through this thread to discover how you can minimize any extra popups, i also mentioned earlyer that the popup for avast mobile in the bottom right corner has a checkbox for you to tick to not show again.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »
1. If you are not botherd by pop-ups, good for you. But people are different, I myself don't like unnecessary popups generally and definitely not ads. Of principle, I will not defile my environment with ads unless I need to.

2. Switching AV to, say Windows Live Essentials, is not a downgrade. They are basically equal and WLE constitutes a perfect and also free alternative. One that doesn't spam you too, in their desperation to get you to buy something that you don't actually need.

2. Feel free to do so.

I'm not seeing any of the popup ads, either.  Perhaps those that are seeing so many ::) could take a screenshot of a few and post them here.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

2. Feel free to do so.

I'm not seeing any of the popup ads, either.  Perhaps those that are seeing so many ::) could take a screenshot of a few and post them here.
Iv only seen the bottom corner ad which had the option to not show again, i have not seen any of the huge ad's mentioned that steal screen focus ???

Jim1cor13

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
Same here craigb

When I recently fresh installed version 7.01426, after updating initially,
I saw the Mobile version popup, but quickly saw the check box to not show it
again.

After this one instance, there has been no additional popups, only the standard
offering within the UI summary which in my opinion is more than fair, and not at all
intrusive. Avast! I think is more than reasonable in this regard, and it somewhat baffles me why
a few others are claiming to experience frequent popups. Could they be coming through the
cloud or web extensions for some reason? I personally do not utilize those tools.

All my best!
Jim
---

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
Could they be coming through the cloud or web extensions for some reason? I personally do not utilize those tools.

No.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
Today i had a popup in the centre of my display. It offers me total protection with the AIS (which i already use). Unfortunately i can't take a screenshot. It was the first and only advertising popup from avast.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »
1. Today i had a popup in the centre of my display. It offers me total protection with the AIS (which i already use).
2. Unfortunately i can't take a screenshot.
3. It was the first and only advertising popup from avast.

1. Strange. :-\
2. Why not..?? I know that you know how to do this. ;)
3. You shouldn't get any ads with a paid version at all. ???

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
Why not..?? I know that you know how to do this. ;)
Because my PC freezes at this time :(

DJBone

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »

It does..?? :o
Should we continue in the German section..??

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »

It does..?? :o
Should we continue in the German section..??
No, thanks. It comes back after a while (no BSOD, only freezing). But then i forgot the screenshot :(

DJBone

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:46 PM »
But then i forgot the screenshot :(

Well, maybe next time then. ;)