Author Topic: Firefox and the script shield  (Read 9932 times)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Firefox and the script shield
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
So any that are experiencing problems ensure that you have the Behavior Shield enable, including all options.
I have the Behavior Shield at its default settings. I never change that shield's setting ever :)

Sam as Coolmario88.  Behaviour Shield has always been at default settings.  Script Shield simply stopped working at all on Firefox with the update to Firefox 12, unless viewing some Flash presentations.  But then, it is scanning Adobe Flash scripts, not Firefox scripts.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Hellion

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »
Hi All,

I'm experiencing same issue.

When Firefox updated, scripts were still being scanned, but after restart nothing and it has stayed that way.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit - Avast (latest) + Firefox (Latest) + Comodo FW (Latest with D+ disabled).

Hellion

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »
Hi All,

Sorry for double posting, but the issue is still very much present and there has been no feedback on this thread?

feral2U

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
the script shield also does bad things with flash video and FF12.
The solution is to remove all traces of Mozilla Firefox 12 from your system and reinstall version 11 this is at your own risk. At least until Mozilla and Avast have sorted out their issues.
This is not ideal from a security perspective but it works for my situation and may suit you if you know what you are doing.

Backup your bookmarks and passwords only from your profle using Mozbackup first. Do not back up extensions and addons.
Get the older version from Firefox 11 here, http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-11.0&os=win&lang=en-US
Remove All traces of FF12 from your Windows user profile and Program Folders on your system.
Temporarily pause the script shield and Install FF 11 and restore only your bookmarks and passwords with Mozbackup. Do not restore anything else or you will have to start again.
Once Firefox is installed and up and running restore your bookmarks and passwords, reinstall your addons and extensions fresh.
This has worked for me.
Cheers

Alievitan

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
You can use Firefox ESR http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html  If you want to use a fully supported and patched Firefox which is compatible with script shield.  The current ESR is bases on version 10.  Also reading some Mozilla developer notes about Avast, they stated that a new Avast patch will be released at the end of this moth. 

"From contact with the Avast! guys, they reckon this is an easy thing to fix and will get it done for their next update, this will release at the end of May. They ask if this is OK, or whether they should look at a more aggressive way to push out the fix --- what do we think?"

The quote is about fixing a crash with Firefox b/c of Avast and not about scriptshield, but the point is Avast is going to release a patch at the end of May, which I guess should incorporate fixes for the script shield problems with Firefox and Chrome.  However that is my speculation. 

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=733892#c28

As for now, I am currently using ESR(based on Version 10), which isn't all that different from version 12 from what I can tell.  I just installed it in a different directory from my usual firefox, copied my profile with Mozbackup and I was good to go.  Going to keep using it until Avast fixes the script shield issue whenever that is. 

Hellion

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »
Hi All,

I do not think it is wise to downgrade, as your browser is your first line of defence.

I use no script so I'm not too concerned about script scanning, but there are a lot of users that are vulnerable now.

Avast needs to release a fix for this.