Author Topic: explorer.exe crashes, even after uninstalling AVAST  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:explorer.exe crashes, even after uninstalling AVAST
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 09:49:31 AM »
NO TCP/UDP ports open
This means you can't browse, you can send/receive email

sverx

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 10:01:57 AM »
Quote:
NO TCP/UDP ports open   
This means you can't browse, you can send/receive email

Well, I meant TCP port in LISTENING state and UDP port "open"... of course I CAN browse and send/receive e-mail without LISTENING ports...

and, well, in another post
I would say time to upgrade to a OS that was created this century.

Good idea, in general, but this forum is about Avast! 4, which they say it run on Win98... otherwise I wouldn't leave AVG (I liked it a lot, the whole year I used it... it's only it requires IE5.0+)

Well, time to change :) Now Avast! for some weeks, then I'll try some other products (I won't write here the names, this is Avast! forum) and I'll make my definitive choice...

Bye
Sverx

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 01:29:10 PM »
So I wanted to find IF it could be possible that Avast! was the reason for such a problem. I uninstalled it, reinstalled it completely (default installation), then again uninstalled it, then installed it again (did I tell you I needed an antivirus? ;) ) ...
Nothing.
So, really, I have no reason to keep on thinking it was Avast! fault. Really, maybe I installed another program a couple of days ago and I don't remember... mmm...

Thanks for posting.
Some users say we 'protect' avast too much. If the problem is on avast we must recognize this. What I post before (that it was not avast fault) should not be a 'defense' of avast but my sincerely (and half-technical) point of view.

So now I'm going to "deep" test  Avast and -probably- write an article for a computer-related newsletter here in Italy and say if Avast is -IMHO- a good program or not. Of course I'll say that the tech forums here are full of people that are ready to help you :) Thanks once more.

Sverx, thanks to you... Can you post your review before and discuss with us?
Maybe we can help and make your review even better (if possible)  ;)
The best things in life are free.