Author Topic: Virus-like behaviour of Avast Gadget  (Read 3662 times)

GKL206

Virus-like behaviour of Avast Gadget
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:16:47 AM »
When I installed Avast 6 it installed, against my express wishes, the Avast gadget, which replaced the clock and calendar.  I've uninstalled the gadget, replaced the pre-existing gadgets, followed instructions on these forum.  No result.  I uninstalled Avast and the ****ing gadget was still there. I'm stuck with either no clock or an Avast-branded one. 
I'm now searching for an Avast uninstall tool to completely remove all traces of Avast from my system.  I'm not prepared to use software which installs advertising on my system

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Virus-like behaviour of Avast Gadget
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »
why did you install avast 6 ?

Read then instructions before use http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

use custom install to only install what you want

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:22:31 AM by Pondus »

GKL206

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »
I thought i was installing the latest version. I did a custom install and asked  it not to install the gadget.  It's still there.  I've used the Avast removal tool and it's still there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:46:27 AM by GKL206 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:49:35 AM »
latest is avast 7

you did run the tool from safe mode.....as instructed on website?

does this help?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-remove-a-gadget-in-windows-7.html

GKL206

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
I tired to run it in safe mode but it hid.  When started in safe mode the lower resolution means only a fraction of my usual desktop is showing.  First time that didn't include the removal tool.  So I moved it to right at the top left and restarted in safe mode.  The icons still showed up where they were before I moved it. No sign of Avast removal tool.  Third time I ran the removal tool not in safe mode.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-remove-a-gadget-in-windows-7.html.  I tried THAT!  Deleted the Avast gadget, tried to replace original windows gadgets, but when I replace them it's the Avast clock which returns.  I'm now trying system restore to before Avast ever polluted my computer.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
Did you try the option of going to remove programs and clicking avast as to uninstall then click on change and remove the gadget from your selection ???

You should also install version 7.0.1426 with a custom install where you can easly untick all the features you dont want in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:16:34 AM by craigb »

GKL206

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »
"Did you try the option of going to remove programs and clicking avast as to uninstall then click on change and remove the gadget from your selection ???"
Yes.  And it's *STILL* there.  I've now accepted I have two choices: no clock or Avast clock - and no calendar at all - both of which will remind me for as long as I have this computer to never, ever go near Avast  products again.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »
Like you mentioned it's probably best to restore your system to before avast was installed, you've made no mention of your system spec's or what AV was on your system prior to avast and how it was removed, iv not seen your problem here before so i suspect there may be a issue with remnants of previous AV or a conflict with other installed security software.