Author Topic: Registration earned me a license key, but the prompt asks for an activation code  (Read 3271 times)

JayMC

>:(

I've spent some time on this, looked in all the FAQs. I'd like to switch from the paid subscription to the free version. My license expires within 24 hours, so I'd prefer to get it squared away quickly.

I've updated Avast, and restarted. There was no activation code mailed to me, but a license key, which seems to be formatted differently. I don't have any prompt or menu on my version to enter a license key. It's slightly agonizing that something that ought to be so simple is this problematic. So, if anyone has any wisdom or help they can share, it would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you!

Theo Peterbroers

Hi JayMC,

Can you ignore the prompt, and just start avast? Under maintenance > subscription (I suppose it's called that, I have a Dutch language version of AIS) there are two buttons. One for the license file, one for the activation code.

JayMC

Correct, I have only those buttons. But in the pictorial walkthroughs, they all have these extra buttons that I simply do not.
Ignoring anything isn't really the issue, I registered to receive something that there is no button for in my current version.

Hmm.

JayMC

No one has any wisdom to offer on this?

Would uninstalling and reinstalling the program correct this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
As far as I'm aware you can't just switch/downgrade and enter the free registration key. You have to do a clean install of the free version then it can be registered from the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:58:31 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JayMC

How irritating.
Thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it!  :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security