Author Topic: Win 7 speed problem  (Read 2990 times)

urdrwho

Win 7 speed problem
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:28:53 AM »
 :-[

In the past several weeks I've had a noticeable slowdown on my computer.  I spent a lot of time doing network checks, modem checks, I had Comcast Internet techs here for 1.5 hours and they were stumped.

Just now I was sitting here and thought, what about disabling Avast and doing a speed test.  Wow!  My DL speed went from its terrible 10 MD to 23.  I enabled Avast and tried another test and yep....slow DL speed.  Disabled Avast and tried another speed test and yep....good fast speed.

Not sure what to do about this because I like Avast but I don't like programs that drag/slow down my internet connection.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Win 7 speed problem
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:50:36 AM »
first you say "a noticeable slow down on my computer".......then you say "slow down my internet connection"

so what is it.....the computer or the connection?

urdrwho

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 02:10:47 AM »
Oops sorry. 

Slowing down the ability for the computer to access the internet.  The internet is not slower but my access and use of it is slower when Avast is working.

Just did a test on speakeasy.net and I had a DL of 8.86.  Hit the disable Avast for 10 minutes and I get 23.50.

Does that make it more clear?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:15:56 AM »
What is your Operating system and Firewall ?

I have a broadband account that gives up to 40Mbps connection and even with the web shield enabled a check on speedtest.net gets close to the maximum and generally you aren't going to get the maximum anyway. A test right now with and without the web shield enabled (see image, click to expand), you tell me which is which as the download speeds are almost identical.

So I feel there is something else going on with the system.

EDIT: You may also be better using the OOkola net metrics site (rather than the one via speekeasy.net as I have found the differences massive between those two.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:23:52 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

urdrwho

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
I have Win 7 and I never have the firewall working.

Speedtest.net gives me the same type of results.

With Avast enabled
4/27/2012 8:55 PM EDT    9.79 Mb/s    3.21 Mb/s    47 ms

Avast disabled
4/27/2012 8:57 PM EDT    98.237.108.29    17.56 Mb/s    3.36 Mb/s    29 ms

I have a broadband account that gives up to 40Mbps connection and even with the web shield enabled a check on speedtest.net gets close to the maximum and generally you aren't going to get the maximum anyway. A test right now with and without the web shield enabled (see image, click to expand), you tell me which is which as the download speeds are almost identical.

EDIT: You may also be better using the OOkola net metrics site (rather than the one via speekeasy.net as I have found the differences massive between those two.

urdrwho

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:10:25 AM »
Decided to do some testing and bit by bit disable shields

All shields disabled except File system - DL speed 25.65
Added Mail shield - DL 25.89
Added Web Shield - DL 7.80

I don't think I need to go further so I disabled Web Shield and started all other shields --  DL 23.50