Author Topic: New user but it is not working  (Read 4208 times)

fafafa

New user but it is not working
« on: April 24, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
Hi installed Avast 7.0.1426 on Win XP. First install failed so reinstalled which finished successfully. But it is not working!

Current Status shows a Fix Now button which seems to do nothing.

Below that is: Not connected with any avast account - clicking on connect just lets me login or tells me the service is unavailable (most times) I presume being connected to the account is not vital to tun the program.

Below that: Urgent avast! antivirus program has been stopped or is in an inconsistent state. Please restart...etc
Then a start program link but nothing changes.

fafafa

Re: New user but it is not working
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:21:20 PM »
Tried starting avast! Antivirus server manually and got:
Error 1075. The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »
What AV did this PC have on it before Avast?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »
Tried starting avast! Antivirus server manually and got:
Error 1075. The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

Does it mention what this 'dependency service' is ?

Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fafafa

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply

It had Alvira on before but the latest release of that was more trouble than it was worth... so switched here.

I have now fixed it by uninstalling for the 3rd time and re-installing... it has started... phew. Windows AV has become steadily more awkward over the years and this is my last Windows box... currently getting everything onto a new Ubuntu pc and quite a learning curve but so far seeming way better than the most recent Windows and a lot faster too. Will miss XP though  :-\

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »
Ensure all remnants of avira are gone - Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVs see, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fafafa

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
Thanks for that useful link!

All running smoothly now.

fafafa

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »
A warning on the Avira registry cleaner, it also picks up Avast! keys to remove from registry! So needs careful selection before deleting.

florin752010

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
A warning on the Avira registry cleaner, it also picks up Avast! keys to remove from registry! So needs careful selection before deleting.
Be calmo , Avira is much better than avast in all . Best detection , no fals positive , best repair , no slow down the sistem , autoupdate for definitions every 2 hours.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
Avira is much better than avast in all.
I suppose you're coming here to enlight us about the Whole Truth.
We can make a list of things that Avira is worse than avast!
Will it worth? Here, on avast! forums?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
@ florin752010
That isn't anything to do with what the original poster is asking.

Plus they made it clear they don't want avira:
Quote from: fafafa
It had Alvira on before but the latest release of that was more trouble than it was worth... so switched here.

fafafa

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
Avira was good, at the time I installed it leader of the pack. But it deteriorated, for example prevention of Shut Down without responding to a dialogue to kill it. Then with the latest release it demanded removal of:

Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster and SpyBot. I refused Avira would no longer work... hello Avast!

It is arguable whether or not you can rely on one product for protection but for sure those three products are very good and have proven themselves. I am not interested in taking a risk. I have had viruses caught by my original AVG but that failed to prevent a nasty root-kit infecting me and thanks to Malwarebytes I got it cleared within a week or two. That was when Avira got installed and I am impressed with it and also with the responsiveness of the forum members.

Thanks all who gave some input here  :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
You're welcome.

I spotted you typo (last sentence when you installed 'avast') and claim my prize ;D