Author Topic: scanning  (Read 2937 times)

philip brampton

scanning
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
In the default state are a remote hard drive,USB flash drive and recycle bin scanned when opened.
If so how do i prevent scanning when opening.
Thanks

Windows 7.
Avast Free 7.0.1426

iroc9555

Re: scanning
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:36 PM »
Avast! will scan a removable media if it contains an autorun program ( If you have not unmarked that option ) otherwise Avast! will scan the files or programs in it when you decide to run them.

To decide if you want Avast! to scan an autorun program or not:

Open Avast! > REAL TIME SHIELDS > File System Shield > Expert Settings > Scan when attaching

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
The short answer is No, on the default settings avast only scans files that are accessed.

Simply connecting an external hard drive or flash drive shouldn't make avast scan anything, unless it is active. e.g. as mentioned in a flash drive if it has an autorun.inf file which runs certain files when you connect it, then avast would scan those files which it wants to run.

Personally you don't want to mess with those default settings as USB/Flash sticks are a higher risk of infection if you are in the habit of connecting them to others PCs, etc. Especially if those PCs aren't under your control and protection.

But you should have been able to test that simply by monitoring the file system shield stats before connecting said external hard drive or flash drive and after connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

philip brampton

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »
It is just that when i try to open or connect there is a delay as if they are being scanned.
So i am trying to find out why.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:31:48 PM »
That is why I suggested monitoring the file system shield (FSS), at the very least it shows what 'is' being scanned and possibly give an idea why.

Both iroc9555 and refer to default settings (certainly on the FSS) as if you make any other changes it can impact on performance. Have you made any changes to the FSS and if so what ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

philip brampton

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
The only changes i have made relate to "scan when attaching" both unchecked.
I don't have a floppy drive on my computer and i know exactly what is on any flash drive that i may use.
I am just trying to find out what causes the delay when opening Remote hard drive,flash drive and recycle bin.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:17:50 PM »
That if anything should lessen the scanning by the FSS, so to find out what is being scanned you are going to have to monitor the stuff scanned. Either monitoring the FSS details or by changing the reporting, add the OK items to the list of Reported items.

This will make the log file much larger, but you will be able to see what is being scanned.

You will also have to note the time, before you plug in the drive/flash stick and the time when activity stops after having plugged in the drive/flash stick; otherwise it would be hard to find the entries amongst the rest.