Author Topic: Avast nagging popups  (Read 17281 times)

JoeB

Avast nagging popups
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »
Avast Internet Security has been popping up with a blue nagging box on the center of my screen the last few days (13 days left now)
This makes full screen programs minimize!
I am considering to switch and buy another vendors suite just because of that.
There is no FUCKING need to bug and nag people to renew their license before it has ran out!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast nagging popups
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
You can:
1. Set Silent/Game mode.
2. Renew your AIS :)
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
You can:
1. Set Silent/Game mode.

Does the Set Silent/Game mode also stop the "Malicious" File/URL pop-ups, update pop-ups and all pop-ups?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
Does the Set Silent/Game mode also stop the "Malicious" File/URL pop-ups, update pop-ups and all pop-ups?
Silent/Game mode does not scan or stop viruses. This is a work for the shields. Silent/Game mode just does NOT show the alerts/messages/popups.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
@JoeB, can you post a screenshot of the nagging box? Thanks.

Nesivos

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Silent/Game mode does not scan or stop viruses. This is a work for the shields. Silent/Game mode just does NOT show the alerts/messages/popups.

Sorry you didn't answer my question which had nothing to do with scanning itself

Let me ask it again and a yes or no answer will suffice.

When you put a check mark in Settings-----------Silent/Gaming Mode----------Silent/Gaming Mode "No avast! messages/pop-ups/alerts will be displayed" does this turn off all popup including Malicious File/URL, definition updates etc like it says?

Yes or no?

Thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
As far I remember, the virus alert is always shown, regardless the Silent/Game mode.
Other popups and messages are not shown.

Nesivos

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
As far I remember, the virus alert is always shown, regardless the Silent/Game mode.
Other popups and messages are not shown.

Thank you :)

JoeB

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »
You can:
1. Set Silent/Game mode.

The app is set to silent mode when full-screen applications run, yet, the big blue nagbox still shows up, not the regular infobox in lower right corner which has been nagging regarding license renewal for 2 weeks already.
Honestly, it doesn't help to tell me to renew AIS here on the forum, the @#* box is already doing that, thanks.
Just saying, I and probably others do not need to get an annoying reminder about renewal weeks before the license expires, since some of us don't renew before there is a week left on the current license.
I already looked at some other products after the info box started popping, the centered nagbox is just top of the iceberg.

HS2234

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 04:08:44 AM »
Just renew it? its warning u to reniw it I think
goto settings-popup-change 20 to 0 .. Think that could help

Steffanie

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
I am getting this too, and it is beyond annoying. It is startling when it pops up. I have my avast set to the silent/gaming mode so that I don't get the update notices, etc. Now that my protection expires in a month, I get a popup telling me to renew. It pops up when I am engaged in something else and it makes me jump. Mine isn't blue ~ it's red and looks exactly like the popup you get when a virus is detected.

I don't want to change my popup setting to zero as suggested, because I do want to know if a virus is detected.

I think this is an abuse of the program, which I have paid for after all. A couple of email notifications should suffice as renewal reminders. So, if I don't have the money to pay for the renewal immediately, I have a month of this to look forward to? This isn't acceptable. It is making me consider a different virus protection instead of renewing Avast as I had planned to.

Steffanie

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
One of the techs asked for a screenshot. Here is what happened while I was watching a movie at Netflix. As I said, my avast is set for the silent mode so that I won't be bothered with notices. Except when they are trying to get money, apparently....http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/SteffsStuff/avastRenewalNotification-Netflix.jpg

Offline ketchup2me

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
What the first topic person identified is exactly what happens,  SILENT MODE is ON already, and while playing games whatever, big ole popup, "Sub about to run out"..., everyday, several times a day it pops up.  I'm with the original poster, this is the reason I chose avast a couple of years ago, light, non-intrusive, INEXPENSIVE(well thats history) and works well.  Now you have placed yourself, since the nagging popups to renew, with the former programs i used...intrusive and expensive.

mcv.-

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
(Perhaps their “Marketing Department” is working for the competition!)
I am with "Avast" for over 2.5 years now, jumping from "Norton" the Hog... Now, Avast is slowing down my “machine” acting like a "Hog"…
I just renew for 3 years with "Avast Internet Security" at the beginning of March this year; YES, those ANOYING, PERMANENT pop-ups starting in February, almost chased me away... Extremely good "MARKETING" tool!
If the” things” are going to improve at the same rate, I’ll take the loss and move to “Bit Defender”…

Cheers,
m.-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:53:49 PM by mcv.- »

wesmacc

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
Thankfully I'm down to about 10 days. I feel since I PAID for this service I should get to use it up to the last day but I suspect I will remove it and switch to my new virus checker early. And, OF COURSE I am not renewing with Avast, heck I've even reported them to the virus sites for malicious popups and asked that they be marked as spyware since Avast is doing exactly what a piece of spyware would do, annoy the heck out of me until I send them money. The free version was better anyways, much less bloatware.