Author Topic: Sudden problem with Chrome being blocked  (Read 2355 times)

penguinista

Sudden problem with Chrome being blocked
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
Hi there,

I've had the free version of Avast installed on my laptop since I bought the laptop in 2010 (and I used it also on my previous laptop). I've also used Chrome as my usual browser since I got the laptop. I've never had any issues until a couple of days ago when I opened Chrome and got this message:

Unable to access the network
Google Chrome is having trouble accessing the network.

This may be because your firewall or antivirus software wrongly thinks that Google Chrome is an intruder on your computer and is blocking it from connecting to the Internet.
Here are some suggestions:
Add Google Chrome as a permitted programme in your firewall or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted programme, try deleting it from the list of permitted programmes and adding it again.
Error 138 (net::ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED): Unable to access the network.

The only antivirus software I have is Avast, but as I say in all this time this has never happened! I had a wee look but I couldn't find a way to fix this in Avast, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm using Firefox just now and obviously it's not a major issue as I can still get online, but all my bookmarks etc are in Chrome and also I just prefer it. It might not even be to do with Avast at all, I just have no other ideas.

Thanks a lot in advance if anyone can help.

Gargamel360

Re: Sudden problem with Chrome being blocked
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »
As a troubleshooting step, not a fix, try disabling the Web Shield and see if Chrome works better.