Author Topic: Avast! 7 + Comodo firewall  (Read 10609 times)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Avast! 7 + Comodo firewall
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
I heard that Avast! 7 + Comodo firewall causing compatibility problems. PLEASE fix it! Thank you!
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast! 7 + Comodo firewall
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
I heard that Avast! 7 + Comodo firewall causing compatibility problems. PLEASE fix it! Thank you!

What do you want fixed..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
if there is a problem......how do you know it is a avast problem and not comodo  ???
but i guess you have posted the same please fix it over in comodo forum!   ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:42:12 AM by Pondus »

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
No I didn't. But someone else has posted on comodo forums and someone replied that It's problem of Avast's Web Shield

EDIT: So I've installed Comodo Firewall and after restart I don't see Comodo tray icon. I had to manually turn it on. That's first compatibility problem I've noticed. Also, COMODO firewall is now really annoying - without avast! wasn't. Also I've noticed that Sandbox was turned off by default. Is that cuz of compatibility? AND another thing is that Cloud services are turned off since COMODO installed. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:12:01 AM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

What do you want fixed..??
Does It work for you? I've just read about 10x times that everyone having problems that firewall doesn't work with web shield enabled.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
Does It work for you?

It does.

Cause it does work for Asyn as always ;) that because he using the old version if you very closely ::)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
and therefore should avast! (or comodo) fix the incompatibility problems. Because COMODO has great behavior montoring, Avast has great web scanning

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
so? is it safe to use Avast! 7 + Comodo firewall 5?

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »
@danny96: apart from the problem of u not being able to see comodo's tray icon, the other problem recently stated is that comodo firewall is unable to block browsers/ apps that connect to the internet when avast web shield is active is due to web shield being acting as a proxy.

rather than being avast fault here, it is a design flaw of comodo firewall which cannot block any internet connection directed through a proxy (bypassed the firewall). this is potentially dangerous as it can be exploited by malware.

see explanation here: quote from lukor, "Hi guys,

this is really very interesting. Matousec's leak tests show 100% for COMODO, yet, apparently the firewall is not able to catch a Web proxy which our WebShield is.

I am not saying that Comodo is a bad firewall, on contrary, it is highly regarded, but maybe this might be a contribution to the relevancy of the leak tests -- as I see it from my brief glimpse on this issue, any program acting in the same way as avast does can overcome the firewall rules. Somewhat surprising for a product with such high leak-test "certification".

Concerning the fix from avast! side: I doubt we would fix this, making changes in the code, so that other firewalls block our traffic is exactly the opposite what we try to do.

Nice comment on the Comodo forum from the moderator though:

Re: Comodo Does not work with Avast 7!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
This seems like an issue with Avast.
They changed the code. They will have to fix it.

I only hope that malware and unwanted programs follow the same guideline.

Lukas."

note: quoted from, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93953.45 reply #48

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »
One sure working workaround: Dont use the avast web shield for this time. A lot of antivirus programs dont have any. And you are protected by comodo defense+.
The web shield is the least impacting security feature against infection in this scenario, compared to uninstall a product.
If you download something, scan it before you execute it. To be "sure".
Any concerns?
Best quote I have seen for a while along with this one
Use no-script firefox addon.
Use a sandbox.
If your antivirus can not detect malicious code, how should the web shield do this?
I think this shows a lack of understanding by Comodo what the actual function of webshield is

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
So I should turn off Web Shield to fix these problems?

EDIT:
So I've uninstalled avast! temporary because of the compatibility problems. I'll install comodo ones for now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:15:10 PM by danny96 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
Absolutely not, contrary to what Comodo thinks, the web shield is possibly the most effective of the avast shields. We didn't even know what comodo elements you were running.

In all of this topic, you haven't actually said what this compatibility issue is (tray icon not displaying, don't think so), no error messages, etc. etc. the more information you can provide the more likely it is the more chance of finding what the issue might be.

If this were truly a compatibility issue, with the numbers of people using the comodo firewall and avast, this would be reflected in massive numbers of posts about it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
Absolutely not, contrary to what Comodo thinks, the web shield is possibly the most effective of the avast shields. We didn't even know what comodo elements you were running.

In all of this topic, you haven't actually said what this compatibility issue is (tray icon not displaying, don't think so), no error messages, etc. etc. the more information you can provide the more likely it is the more chance of finding what the issue might be.

If this were truly a compatibility issue, with the numbers of people using the comodo firewall and avast, this would be reflected in massive numbers of posts about it.

Well, web shield even disabled my internet and after I turned of WS then internet worked again. Then I re-enabled WS and no problems. IDK I was worried about It so I uninstalled avast! because there were many issues. You may now say this is stupid but when I uninstalled avast! then NO defense+ or sandbox notifications jumped. With Avast! I got spammed by COMODO defense+ about drivers trying to access the internet etc....

iroc9555

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Danny you said:

EDIT: So I've installed Comodo Firewall and.....

but I also see in your sig that you have Comodo AV. Could it be it ? Your cause of Comodo not working right or even Avast!. If you are going to run Avast! free and Comodo, first install only Cfw. Second you must choose only one autosandbox so deactivate one.

Unfortunately, and this is my opinion, if you have Windows 7, it is better to try another firewall, Outpost or Online Armor. Even PC Tools firewall or Private firewall. Eventhough Comodo says that unknown connections by unknown programs are still detected, the fact that Comodo can not have total control on white listed programs due to Avast! web shield proxy behavior is unnerving.

You can also do as Asyn does. Just install Comodo 3.14 IMO the best firewall Comodo made.