Author Topic: Can malware sites be reported via WebRep addon for Firefox?  (Read 3632 times)

mdh

Can malware sites be reported via WebRep addon for Firefox?
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »
I have been using Google to search for specialized information, and every link that appears for one web site triggers Avast.  Access is blocked (that's good), but I want to be able to submit a negative vote for that website so that it will be seen by WebRep as potentially dangerous rather than what it is now...unknown.  I don't see how that can be done (so far) and this seems like an important feature for the addon to support.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can malware sites be reported via WebRep addon for Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:04:25 AM »
and what is the URL?

post it unclickable..... http as hxxp and www as wxw

mdh

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »
Copy and paste from Google link is:

hxxp://wxw.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CH0QFjAM&url=hxxp%3A%2F%2Fbanks.com-directory.org%2FTexas%2F23475.asp&ei=KuicT4zRA-3TiAKslflX&usg=AFQjCNFChOQSisap0xUN8tU-Ob22sQ-JHQ&sig2=o74bQ9mFEt5M8hiWcU2Qog

Extracting the Google stuff from the link leaves:
hxxp://banks.com-directory.org/Texas/23475.asp&ei=KuicT4zRA-3TiAKslflX&usg=AFQjCNFChOQSisap0xUN8tU-Ob22sQ-JHQ&sig2=o74bQ9mFEt5M8hiWcU2Qog

and it actually goes to:

hxxp://p3nlhclust404.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net/SharedContent/redirect_1.html

Every link for this server triggers the Avast network shield.  The worst thing is that the stuff I am looking for is sometimes so difficult to find that I have to turn over every rock to see if what I'm looking for is hidden underneath.  I'm trying to stick to known/reputable sites so I don't run into something that's one step ahead of the anti-virus.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:28:00 AM by Pondus »

mdh

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 08:18:47 PM »
Its a red popup that says malware has been detected and that access has been blocked.  I'm not going to continue going to a known bad site for more information.  Why is there not a provision to submit this site so that it will have a negative reputation?

I am running into problems with the Captcha garbage on every attempt at posting something so I'm getting rather irritated by this process.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:39:09 PM »
  I'm trying to stick to known/reputable sites so I don't run into something that's one step ahead of the anti-virus.
Since a large portion of infections come from legit websites being hacked, sticking with only "known/reputable sites (while a good practice) is not enough to protect you.
  Why is there not a provision to submit this site so that it will have a negative reputation?
Because a sites infection status is not what WebRep (and by proxy, user input) is for....that is what the Web/Network Shields are for.  Reporting infections via WebRep would result in a whole lot of unqualified people reporting things they do not even begin to understand.

WebRep currently has 2 facets.  The first being user-input based reputation,  based on like/dislike (colored green to red) and content type.   The second being a filter for Phishing sites.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »
Well the redirect is mentioned here: http://www.malware-control.com/statics-pages/f9eca71b4003ae0c150b5fd87ee338c3.php
Cross site scripting malware,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!