Author Topic: Really annoying delay when clicking on start menu items  (Read 2822 times)

ads_green

Really annoying delay when clicking on start menu items
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
I have windows 7 64bit and a user of avast! for a long time now.
Everything on the pc has been fine however it would appear the latest version of avast has created a problem on my computer.

When clicking items on the start menu (especially items with a "jump" menu) there is a noticable delay (1-2 seconds) where nothing happens (almost as if nothing eas actually clicked) and then the program loads. The delay is such that you can accidentially start multiple instances of the selected program before anything happens.

I've spent several hours investigating this issue and have narrowed it down to Avast! (I'm using version 7.0.1426). This has been confirmed by:
- rebooting the system and encountering the error.
- disable the Avast! file scanning component and error is gone.
- enable the Avast! file scanning component and error returns.
- in the advanced Avast! file scanning component click on expert settings and either:
- add an exclusion for "*.exe"
- Disable scanning "on execute".
In either instance the problem immediately dissappears but it is not sensible to leave as this.

As such it's actually proving very hard and frustrating to use windows.

The computer is running fine other than that with no sign of any virus or malware (confirmed by multiple scans using several different application software).
It isn't lack of processing power - 8 core I7-Extreme with 8gig 1600mhz memory and 256 sata 6 SSD.
This problem never occured with the previous versions of avast!.

Please can you help as I'm happy with Avast but can not continue with this problem.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Really annoying delay when clicking on start menu items
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
Please can you help as I'm happy with Avast but can not continue with this problem.

Follow instructions: http://public.avast.com/~rypacek/patches/#ap20120403001
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ads_green

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »
Thanks - it's much better.
Seems to only have the pause on the first instantiation of a program which I guess is unavoidable.
Then I'm guessing the result is cached as it's much better after that.

Anyway - thanks again... my system is livable now... Was driving me nuts!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:39 AM »
Anyway - thanks again... my system is livable now... Was driving me nuts!

You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0