Author Topic: EndProcess. Win32:KillApp-W[PUP]  (Read 5094 times)

james6789

EndProcess. Win32:KillApp-W[PUP]
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
i have a hp laptop running windows 7 just installed avast it has isolated an EndProcess. Win32:KillApp-W[PUP] located in the C:\HP\bin i have read reports that it is a false positive and a valid programme. i just wanted to know if anyone what it is and wether i should delete it? i dont know much about this sort of thing. 
also it has isolated a HTML:RedirME-inf[trj] which im gessing means trojan and should porbably be deleted right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: EndProcess. Win32:KillApp-W[PUP]
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
This is because you enabled scanning for PUPs and this is off by default (exception being a boot-time scan) as most users aren't aware what a PUP is or what to do when one is detected:

PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program - See http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci1066761,00.html. Not included in this definition are tools which can be used for good or evil (as in this case), some have been legitimately installed for a specifically good purpose, but could have been unknowing installed for a malicious purpose.

So essentially it isn't a false positive when classified as a PUP as avast can't determine the intent, did the user install it, do they know what it is for and is it legit. If the users can answer yes for all of these then it is there for a legit purpose and can be left alone.

What is the file name and location of the HTML:RedirME-inf[trj] detection ?

Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest (a protected area) and investigate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

james6789

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
the HTML:RedirME-inf[trj] name is n[1].htm and the location is C:\User\james\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\1HI9XF04
one of them is messing with my computer sending flashes of horizontal lines across my screen they are both in the virus chest im gessing its this one that is causing the problem so im panning deleting 1 or both of them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »
Anything in the Temporary Internet Files (browser cache) sub-folders can safely be removed as essentially they are temporary files. You could also periodically clear the browser cache (Temporary Internet Files).

That said I rather doubt any of this is related to your screen problems, the HTML:RedirME-inf is essentially something that would try and redirect to another site if you happened to open that in your browser. So it isn't anything local and malware wouldn't want to draw attention to itself in this way, it would want to be unobtrusive for it to be able to do its dirty work.

I suspect that even when you remove this one the screen issue would still be present and even emptying the browser cache would resolve the screen issue.

Let me know how your system gets on after the removal of this file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security