Author Topic: Avast cannot connect to server?  (Read 23300 times)

ConfusedCat

Avast cannot connect to server?
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
The exact message was: Cannot connect to download983.avast.com
I ran free Mbam to full scan my system in Safe mode (multiple times). It picked up nothing. Even ran free Avast (version 7.0.1426) on full scan (again multiple times). I did the aforementioned the first day it happened which was about a week ago. Figured it was up to date and that's why it didn't work but now I'm quite sure something has to be wrong somewhere. I've tried changing  proxy settings, but even that did nothing. I have no problems going going to any websites [including virus protection and malware protection ones]. My DSL internet connection is at full/maxed bar the complete time. Malwarebytes has zero problems updating [heck, it just did that] and both are allowed according to my Windows Firewall. Should I just uninstall and reinstall Avast in safe mode? Or could this be a Vista problem? Any idea what the problem could be?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast cannot connect to server?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
- OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
- Other security related software installed..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ConfusedCat

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
Comp specifics:
Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 2
Intel(R) Core (TM) Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
3.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT
32-bit Operating System

Other security related software installed:
Windows Firewall [came pre-installed with laptop]
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61.0.1400

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:38:18 AM »
Set avast! to: Direct Connection (No Proxy)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ConfusedCat

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
I'm in Safe Mode with Networking. Tried that. Still not working. Bar hasn't moved at all in 15 minutes.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:36 AM »
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.

ConfusedCat

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
Heh...I've done exactly as you have stated above and the problem still persists. OTL I thank you for your patience with this. I have noticed that when my computer first starts Window Firewall asks for permission to let Avast update. I click to allow it to do so. Then right after I allow it, it gives me the same message that I once again click to let it do so. Could this be the problem? Is it supposed to ask me twice? ^.^;; Any idea what could be going wrong? Again, I appreciate all effort you make to assist me. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:16:12 PM by ConfusedCat »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »
Have you made changes to the default settings of the windows firewall ? normally nothing of avast has to be added to the WFW unless you have activated outbound protection and then you are going to have to set the avast processes to allow all.

ConfusedCat

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Not my knowledge. Nothing has been changed. It's just so odd. Is there a way to find out if I have somehow [without realising it] made changes? A way to make sure Windows Firewall is set to default settings?

Edit:
Could it be possible Avast won't connect because the engine and definitions are already up to date? How often does Avast update?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:28:46 PM by ConfusedCat »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
If you go to control panel and open the windows firewall then on the left is a list, restore default settings should be there.

Avast will generally update 2-3 times daily, avast is set by defaut to search every 4 hours ( this can be set to every 2 hours at minimum on free ) and cloud updates could be many.

ConfusedCat

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 04:52:10 PM »
Went there just now. Uh, I'm scared to touch that due to the underlined part of the below message. Does that mean if a program such as MalwareBytes, Avast, etc. has made alternations that they will stop working? I'm rather sure I haven't been playing around with the settings. Still click Restore Defaults? I don't want it killing MalwareBytes on me.

Default settings
Restoring default will remove all Windows Firewall settings that you have configured for any network location. This may cause some programs to stop working.

Ah, okay. Thank you. That explains the messages Avast pops up about updating engine and virus definitions...but it's still not connecting.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Restoring defaults shouldn't bother Malwarebytes, malwarebytes isnt even in my windows firewall list, any program that did need access would simply ask you to grant it with a popup anyway.

ConfusedCat

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »
Really? I see both Malware and Avast in my Exceptions list. I'm sure I didn't do that. I'll go default. Thank you.

Edit:
I have set Window Firewall to default and set Avast! to Direct Connection (No Proxy). Still not connecting.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:13:02 PM by ConfusedCat »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »
What happens if you set the update in avast settings to auto detect- use internet explorer settings, it's what iv always used ( default ) if you've tried a reinstall and everything else is functioning then it's maybe a server issue as you first thought but if this has been like that for a week i dont think the servers would be offline for that long so im suspecting a problem somewhere but i dont know what else to suggest :-\

Is the system running back in normal mode or are you still in safe mode? as avast wont function in safe mode.

Latest def's are 120504.0
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:33:29 PM by craigb »

ConfusedCat

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
Just tried it on Auto Detect - Internet Explorer setting. Still no connection. It starts. Gets about one green line and then says cannot connect to server.

My last was definition update was 120306.0. I am no longer in safe mode. I'm in normal mode.

My computer tends to always have odd things happen that confuses the masses. I still thank you for your time and assistance.