Author Topic: FIREWALLS THAT WORK WITH AVAST  (Read 8602 times)

BabetteB

FIREWALLS THAT WORK WITH AVAST
« on: December 21, 2004, 12:59:12 AM »
I've just dumped Norton Internet Security after a series of problems with W98SE, including its blocking use of Outlook Express!

Have just started, and like Avast 4 Home.  Now need a firewall.  Saw one message that indicates problems with Sygate, which I was planning to try.

Which free firewalls seem to work OK with Avast and are the best protection.  Zone Alarm?  Kerio?

Please answer by EMail, also.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:FIREWALLS THAT WORK WITH AVAST
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 01:09:47 AM »
Sygate could work fine with avast, although, some problems while updating (and allowing access to connect the Internet). It's a good firewall.

ZA is very good (some users have problems with some versions of it).
Kerio become a very 'big' firewall (like all-in-one application). Works with avast.

Agnitum Outpost is very stable and good. In my opinion, the best nowadays.
The best things in life are free.

BabetteB

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 01:24:30 AM »
Thanks for input.  I'll take alook at Agnitum.

shgoh

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 06:34:22 PM »
for me...sygate works great ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 12:14:02 PM »
No problems with Sygate at all. Latest version 5.6 fixed all those Windows shutdown time issues version 5.5 had. I am so happy with Sygate. I've been using ZA freeware edition, as well as Outpost freeware. Outpost is great firewall, but I think I made great move when I switched to Sygate. Sygate is wonderful, works even better ! I remember, sometimes Outpost turned off internet connection without any visible reason... shutting down and restarting Outpost was the only option to resolve that problem  ::) . I may be wrong, maybe it's just it doesn't work too well with my hardware router/firewall D-Link DI-604, but it was much easier to replace software firewall than hardware one... however, I wouldn't change my D-Link DI-604 for anything in the world. That's a piece of art. It even supports X-box live and PS2 ! ;) See here for more info:
http://www.gamesfirst.com/reviews/shawn/di-604/di604.htm

Sygate has problems on avast! update ? I never experienced those problems... Never had any single problem updating avast! even on older versions. Of course, when Sygate recognizes that you changed some program or made some significant upgrade, your dear firewall will ask you for permission first time you wanna start new (upgraded) program... nothing else, Sygate is just cautious, doing it's job, and it does it very well. Anyway, I think ZoneAlarm does the same... even Outpost will ask you to give another permission if there is huge avast! program change...

With all those inexpensive prices these days, you (BCB) also should consider buying one of those hardware router/firewalls. My recommendation... well, you already know  ;D

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:22:55 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

DukeNukem

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 01:43:38 PM »
Im another sygate user  :)

I have had no problems.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 03:07:10 PM »
I have been using Outpost freeware version for over a year now and I have had no problem with it.

I switched to Outpost from Zone Alarm, as one of the ZA elements kept crashing 'true vector' I think, but that was a long time ago and is probably no longer an issue.

I find that Outpost is much less of a system resources hog than ZA. I will probably upgrade to the Outpost Pro version soon as there is an offer on for a short time, buy now and lifetime free updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tipton

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 04:42:39 AM »
I also use Sygate after a few years with ZA. I will never go back to ZA, because I can't live without the detailed logging included in Sygate.

Tipton

watchthisspace

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 05:43:41 AM »
I had Sygate, but the new 5.6 was always usuing 99% of the CPU and it would always crash and XP would tell me that Sygate has caused a problem and needs to exit, but it wouldnt exit, So i uninstalled sygate nad now use Zonealarm  :)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 11:42:32 AM »
So, this is just proof that there is no BEST FIREWALL... there is no such a thing in the world. Everyone should know that by now.  ;)

Every single firewall will have some issues on certain systems... same thing with antiviruses and any other program... Best firewall for you is the one that you try and find it work best for you. You may try one and you'll find that it doesn't really work as it should, then you'll migrate to another one, try that one, and so on, and so on... it's nothing to be affraid of, that's life and we have to live with that.

Also, great deal is in how you configured your system. For example, I've read I lot of wathschthisspace'es posts where he stated that he has all kind of BSOD system crashing issues (Blue Screen Of Death). See here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=9760

Quote:
Hello, Alot of the time when I'm on the computer it crashes and I managed to write down this
Page_fault_nonpaged_area, Stop 0x00000050 ( C0X891c4D890, 0X00000000, 0X91c4d99, 0X00000000
I'm starting to get these alot and It's getting really annoying,Does anyone know whats going wrong?
Look in my sig for my comp specs

So, it doesn't have to be Sygate as a problem. In this particular case, Sygate has nothing to do with his system crashings...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:43:41 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

techie101

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 06:41:21 PM »
BCB,

Before selecting a firewall, you must have some idea of what demands you will place upon it.
There are 2 kinds of FWs:  Application based and rule based.

Application based are the simplest and monitor the "applications" the computer starts, while Rule based FWs allow the user to set specific rules as to what the computer allows in and out which includes "direction", "type of trfc", "ports" and such.

Then again you have the "combo FWs" which can be either or both.

So now that that is explained:
1. Zone Alarm is Application based.  Simple and stable.
2. Sygate is combo, but works very well as App only.
3. Outpost is combo and a very good FW out of the box.
4.  Kerio is tends to be more rule than app based in actual operation even though it is a combo.  I found it a bit difficult for a novice to use.

Any of the above will get the job done.  If you hate setup and monitoring...then go with ZA.  I use it on my W98 as Sygate gave me some trouble.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 06:43:13 PM by Techie101 »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 07:18:19 PM »
You see BCB ?

One person had ZoneAlarm installed until it started to give him all kind of problems, then he switched to Sygate or Outpost, doesn't really matter in this case...

Another person had Sygate installed, and when it started to give him some troubles, he migrated to ZoneAlarm...

I know at least 10 people from these forums who abandoned ZoneAlarm because of all kind of problems they experienced on their systems using ZA. I personally never had any problems with ZoneAlarm in my whole life, I was just curious and I switched to Outpost. Outpost is wonderful firewall, uses much less system resources than ZA, but I found some issues, and I decided to go with another one... now I'm using Sygate and after version 5.6, I'm very very happy Sygate user.

As you can see, there are no rules... best one for you is the one that you try, you see you like it better than other Firewalls, and then decide to go with it...

Merry Christmas everyone !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:20:02 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

neal62

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 12:18:07 AM »
On the firewall issue it's basically, "different strokes for different folks", :). Seriously it's mainly just preference for your particular usuage, likes, and your system as others have mentioned. ;D

watchthisspace

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 01:38:23 AM »
On the firewall issue it's basically, "different strokes for different folks", :). Seriously it's mainly just preference for your particular usuage, likes, and your system as others have mentioned. ;D
I agree, My mum has Outpost and it only uses 3-5mbs of RAM on her HP system.

Staind

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 02:12:09 AM »
Right now I use zone alarm, but it seems to have trouble with older applications (one being the game StarCraft). It can easily be worked around though.  I think any firewall will do, just do an online test to make sure your firewall is set up correctly and is protecting you.