Author Topic: "Win A Free Macbook"?  (Read 36802 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: "Win A Free Macbook"?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
They aren't trying to sell you anything, it is a promotion for the new version of avast! Free Antivirus for Mac.

I haven't had the pop-up, but I can't enter it anyway as I believe you have to have a facebook account to enter and I flatly refuse to sign-up to facebook.

I'm with you David, I learned the hard way and signed up for FB a couple of years back and BOY WAS I SORRY.... Privacy is worth something which is a concept that is totally antithetical to the concept of FB unfortunately...
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Jack 1000

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
Just registered to say: not cool. If avast starts showing ads I will switch to another antivirus.
Switching to another AV is good if you find a product that does a better job of protecting your system.
I personally haven't found a replacement and have used avast! since 2003.  :)
Switching because you saw an announcement which you can prevent by simply learning the settings,
doesn't make any sense.

+1  Thank you Bob,

If you don't want the specific pop-ups in Avast, you can change them in Settings.

Jack

Gargamel360

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »
@nicholsona

If you look closer, I am not For this, I am Against it.   I don't know here you got the idea that I was criticizing you, when all I did was try and explain that if you were afraid of this becoming more frequent, you were probably worrying over nothing.   

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
Wandering o/t here with regard to the ads, I'm one more who won't touch Facebook.  My wife recently got internet access when I switched to a wireless router-modem, and does have a Facebook acct (mostly to play games) and is virtually computer-illiterate, so my son and I set her up with as much protection as possible which she wouldn't have a clue how to modify.  Plus we've disabled all sharing and similar functions so we don't really have a LAN, just a time-sharing common internet connection.  And she knows enough to yell for help if she sees any kind of warning or error message.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

nicholsona

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
I came to the Avast forum specifically because of this pop-up. Contest, ad, free money, whatever; I'm not really happy about it.

I've been using Avast for years, and I put it on all the computers I setup for friends, family, and co-workers. I've been a huge fan and advocate. But I find any unnecessary advertisement (yes, even one for a new Avast product) spam. One spam leads to another spam. I didn't sign up for ad-ware. Countless people I've setup with Avast have upgraded to more complete versions, but Avast is going to lose me as a sales platform if this becomes a regular thing. I don't want Avast popping up information that's not relevant to protecting my computer.

That said, an unobtrusive message about this contest at the bottom of an informative pop-up wouldn't have upset me. It's popping up a message that has the sole intent of getting me to spend my money that upsets me. Left unchecked, this is the path to full-blown ad-ware. If it keeps up I will start installing another product on people's computers. Period. Too many products have gone down that road for this to not worry me.
How else do you expect avast to let there users know about new products ???since this is your first visit here so you wouldn't have found out about it any other way than the popup, and at least now you'll be able to tell anyone you know with a mac - hey i know of a good antivirus for your system! As far as the contest goes well that's just a bonus for those that wish to participate.
I really gripe's me that user's complain over such small things, haven't you got anything better to do with your live's than complain about one add to support a company who's software you've been using ( and most people use for free )
If people cant handle one ad every few months then i say move on, try "avira" you'll get ad's everyday, try MSE you wont get ad's and you wont get the extra protection that avast gives either >:(

Dude, you don't know anything about me. Don't tell me what I knew and I didn't. You don't know how many computers I have and what versions I use on which ones. You don't know if I knew about the Mac version before or after the popup, and you don't know if I know about the Android version on my phone. You don't have any idea how much I do or do not support this company.

What I hate, is people who think it's their job to go around and tell the world what they think about everyone else. I hate people who have nothing better to do all day than pass judgment on other people's posts. I say it's time for you to move on to something more constructive than insulting people and telling them what products they should or shouldn't use and what opinions they should or shouldn't voice.

It's not your business. Stop passing judgment based on ignorance.  ::)

Arizona

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
+1

nicholsona

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
@nicholsona

If you look closer, I am not For this, I am Against it.   I don't know here you got the idea that I was criticizing you, when all I did was try and explain that if you were afraid of this becoming more frequent, you were probably worrying over nothing.

Sorry if I miss-read you then. It was the question about what they were trying to sell me that made me thing you were being critical. I started to answer that question, but then decided that I shouldn't have to justify my interpretation of the popup ad, and I went an entirely different direction. So again, I apologize if that was a bit misdirected.

fecktheairmacpopup

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »
+1 Nicholsona

I'm here because of the popup and I'm not happy about it. I find myself chasing around the Internet to see if my system (and by extension the others I have set up with Avast) are compromised.

I'm also less than impressed with the attitude of some of the established members here and how they responded to the concerns Nicholsona brought up.

Avast's use of such a spam like promotion has reduced the trust I have in it's product.  I have jumped through hoops to get here and post so I put it to you that I believe there are plenty of others who will have just lost faith in Avast and decide to try another AV route.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
Wandering o/t here with regard to the ads, I'm one more who won't touch Facebook.  My wife recently got internet access when I switched to a wireless router-modem, and does have a Facebook acct (mostly to play games) and is virtually computer-illiterate, so my son and I set her up with as much protection as possible which she wouldn't have a clue how to modify.  Plus we've disabled all sharing and similar functions so we don't really have a LAN, just a time-sharing common internet connection.  And she knows enough to yell for help if she sees any kind of warning or error message.

If you going wireless you'd better be configured with a password as I'm sure you already know. Absent a password configuration you much more vulnerable than wired.

As to the "protection" in FB, there are so many levels to consider and I've noticed that no matter what "friends" at some levels have to be open if I recall correctly (I can see why to some extent because if all levels are virtually "turned off" so to speak then the point of FB is defeated actually).
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

Dude, you don't know anything about me. Don't tell me what I knew and I didn't. You don't know how many computers I have and what versions I use on which ones. You don't know if I knew about the Mac version before or after the popup, and you don't know if I know about the Android version on my phone. You don't have any idea how much I do or do not support this company.

What I hate, is people who think it's their job to go around and tell the world what they think about everyone else. I hate people who have nothing better to do all day than pass judgment on other people's posts. I say it's time for you to move on to something more constructive than insulting people and telling them what products they should or shouldn't use and what opinions they should or shouldn't voice.

It's not your business. Stop passing judgment based on ignorance.  ::)
Im not proclaiming to know you as i can only go on what people post and when people start complaining about these things especially when the ad was not selling anything it's just a notification i see it really as just whinging for the sake of it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on who is the ignorant one as most people know that some form of advertising come's with just about all softwares these days ::)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 09:44:40 PM »

I'm here because of the popup and I'm not happy about it. I find myself chasing around the Internet to see if my system (and by extension the others I have set up with Avast) are compromised.

As mentioned earlyer in the thread if you dont want the popups then change that in the avast settings.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
I've changed the "COMMUNITY FEATURES" settings (2) to UNCHECKED.... I have left the "COMMUNITY" setting checked however. I hope this helps, I see no matter what as far as these settings the adds for "Avast upgrades" remain on at the bottom of the "SUMMARY PAGE" unfortunately (I wish Avast would limit these add offers because once you've seen them umpteen times they are clearly unnecessary and a bit irritating) and would be nice if there was a setting for these adds (offers) as well.

I'm sure I speak for most users as far as having an appreciation for Avast to provide as many options to it's users as possible which I think we can pretty much agree that Avast can be applauded for generally being very good at providing a great number of options available to users for the most part.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 10:03:14 PM »
I've changed the "COMMUNITY FEATURES" settings (2) to UNCHECKED.... I have left the "COMMUNITY" setting checked however. I hope this helps, I see no matter what as far as these settings the adds for "Avast upgrades" remain on at the bottom of the "SUMMARY PAGE" unfortunately (I wish Avast would limit these add offers because once you've seen them umpteen times they are clearly unnecessary and a bit irritating) and would be nice if there was a setting for these adds (offers) as well.

lakrsrool i dont believe there is a way to remove the ui featured upgrade ad, the ad's i was talking about were the popups which in setting/popups i believe you can set to 0 which should stop the blue popups but im not sure if doing this you will miss out on some of the more important notifications such as program ( new version ) updates.

pantaz

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 11:42:38 PM »
... I'm here because of the popup and I'm not happy about it. I find myself chasing around the Internet to see if my system (and by extension the others I have set up with Avast) are compromised.
Same here. I've seen far too many "official looking" pop-ups that come from malware. My immediate thought was, "Oh, #$%&!!"

I'm also less than impressed with the attitude of some of the established members here and how they responded to the concerns Nicholsona brought up.
I've seen this, too, on several product support forums. (It's really bad on the Intuit/Quicken forum.) It's great to have knowledgeable users helping to support a company's products, unfortunately, it's quite clear that some of them have no training or experience in customer relations.

...  I believe there are plenty of others who will have just lost faith in Avast and decide to try another AV route.
That's the big problem that most people fail to recognize. For every one customer that complains, dozens do not. For example:

• For every customer who bothers to complain, 26 other customers remain silent. --Source: Lee Resource Inc

• A dissatisfied consumer will tell between 9 and 15 people about their experience. About 13% of dissatisfied customers tell more than 20 people. --Source: White House Office of Consumer Affairs, Washington, DC

• The average "wronged customer" will tell 8-l6 people about it. Over 20% will tell more than 20. --Source: Lee Resource Inc

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 05:07:50 AM »
@lakrsrool: the ads in avast graphic user interface is very un-intrusive. i do not believe any company providing freebies will ever want to turn that off.

moreover, if u noticed, the ads in avast always provides better similar deals compared to the offers posted on avast webpage (in case u want to upgrade next time, u will be glad that the ads are there) eg. the one year protection is $49.99 @ http://www.avast.com/internet-security but that in the gui is only $29.99