Author Topic: "Win A Free Macbook"?  (Read 36903 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Win A Free Macbook"?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
same here  ::) but if i get a macbook i would sell it away for $  ;D

But I wouldn't even signup for facebook in the off-chance of winning a macbook air so that I could even sell it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »

But I wouldn't even signup for facebook in the off-chance of winning a macbook air so that I could even sell it.
+1 ;D

Libra

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
I don't have a facebook account.  I'm currently running Avast 6.0.1367 and I don't have any community settings in the Avast gui to stop this pop-up,  I just saw the pop-up and don't like it.  Why did I get it if facebook is required?

Sincerely, Libra

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
this is because avast is not able to check if u have facebook account or not. it just tells u about the macbook thingy (as an information given out to all avast users).

i am sure there is community settings in avast v6 (i used it previously). try searching again.

edit 1: here u go, http://techdows.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Disable-Avast-Market-in-Community-section.png

just follow the screenshot.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:52:58 PM by AntiVirusASeT »

realty_don

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
is not an ad. it is an offer for u to win a free macbook  ... it is in a un-intrusive popup

besides, u can turn it off via avast gui -> community -> under community features (turn everything off by unchecking them)

Unintrusive?  When it shows up with Avast not 'opened' but while I'm browsing the shark filled tank called the internet?   Geesh!   What are they thinking?  :o

Is your tip relevant to web browsers? 

The Settings / Community / Community Features specifies that that setting applies to "... control which community features will be displayed in the Avast interface"  (says nothing about affecting virus like pop-ups invading our browsing experiences when Avast is not opened).

rD

Gargamel360

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
Look, I don't like it either, but calling any pop-up "virus-like" is just silly and makes the people who stand against such things a lot less credible, lets stick to the facts and save the theatrics.

The pop-up, despite being appearing while you browse, is in no way connected to your browser.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
it is relevant. advertisements from avast can be stopped by disabling features as shown in the screenshot posted. (including all advertisement pop-ups, not inclusive of virus definition pop-ups)

well it is un-intrusive in my opinion because it is highly unlikely u will see such stuff in like 3 months, even possibly longer period.

on top of that, theres the option to disable it completely as stated above.

Quatrix

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
is not an ad. it is an offer for u to win a free macbook (lucky draw u can call that, and it is useful info to me...well i am informed that i could win something worth $ from nothing - avast free)

There's no such thing as something for nothing.  avast! offers a "free" version only in the hopes that you'll pay them for extra features.

And contests absolutely ARE a kind of ad.  They get their name out there in return for a very small chance of winning something.  Putting the avast! and Mac names in your head is worth more to them than whatever they're "giving away".

nicholsona

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
I came to the Avast forum specifically because of this pop-up. Contest, ad, free money, whatever; I'm not really happy about it.

I've been using Avast for years, and I put it on all the computers I setup for friends, family, and co-workers. I've been a huge fan and advocate. But I find any unnecessary advertisement (yes, even one for a new Avast product) spam. One spam leads to another spam. I didn't sign up for ad-ware. Countless people I've setup with Avast have upgraded to more complete versions, but Avast is going to lose me as a sales platform if this becomes a regular thing. I don't want Avast popping up information that's not relevant to protecting my computer.

That said, an unobtrusive message about this contest at the bottom of an informative pop-up wouldn't have upset me. It's popping up a message that has the sole intent of getting me to spend my money that upsets me. Left unchecked, this is the path to full-blown ad-ware. If it keeps up I will start installing another product on people's computers. Period. Too many products have gone down that road for this to not worry me.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
@Quatrix: ur right about that, technically these are all ads in some form or another. but it is my opinion that i do not really take it as any ad (or rather it is an ad worthy to be shown to me. so it becomes an offer.)

moreover, i definitely dun mind providing avast with free advertisement for the protection it gives me.

Gargamel360

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
It's popping up a message that has the sole intent of getting me to spend my money that upsets me.
Where does it ask you to spend money?
Left unchecked, this is the path to full-blown ad-ware. If it keeps up I will start installing another product on people's computers. Period. Too many products have gone down that road for this to not worry me.
I doubt it will "keep up" or escalate....have been with this product for a few years now, enough to know that while they do this occasionally send a toaster pop-up for sales, new products, or in this case a FB giveaway,  it has never become the norm. 

Going on 3 years with Avast! now, I can count the number of times I have seen something like this on one hand.  So they keep it well within reasonable limits, or at least to me they are reasonable.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 06:31:50 PM »
@nicholsona: u can off the feature as state previously.

to me, all other free antivirus except panda cloud & MSE has more ads than avast.

eg. avg has an ad everytime u open the graphic user interface
      avira has a big splash screen every day at least once per day...
      zonealarm has a smaller splash screen occasionally

the rest of the free are not worth mentioning...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
I came to the Avast forum specifically because of this pop-up. Contest, ad, free money, whatever; I'm not really happy about it.

I've been using Avast for years, and I put it on all the computers I setup for friends, family, and co-workers. I've been a huge fan and advocate. But I find any unnecessary advertisement (yes, even one for a new Avast product) spam. One spam leads to another spam. I didn't sign up for ad-ware. Countless people I've setup with Avast have upgraded to more complete versions, but Avast is going to lose me as a sales platform if this becomes a regular thing. I don't want Avast popping up information that's not relevant to protecting my computer.

That said, an unobtrusive message about this contest at the bottom of an informative pop-up wouldn't have upset me. It's popping up a message that has the sole intent of getting me to spend my money that upsets me. Left unchecked, this is the path to full-blown ad-ware. If it keeps up I will start installing another product on people's computers. Period. Too many products have gone down that road for this to not worry me.
How else do you expect avast to let there users know about new products ???since this is your first visit here so you wouldn't have found out about it any other way than the popup, and at least now you'll be able to tell anyone you know with a mac - hey i know of a good antivirus for your system! As far as the contest goes well that's just a bonus for those that wish to participate.
I really gripe's me that user's complain over such small things, haven't you got anything better to do with your live's than complain about one add to support a company who's software you've been using ( and most people use for free )
If people cant handle one ad every few months then i say move on, try "avira" you'll get ad's everyday, try MSE you wont get ad's and you wont get the extra protection that avast gives either >:(

Gargamel360

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »
I really gripe's me that user's complain over such small things, haven't you got anything better to do with your live's than complain about one add to support a company who's software you've been using ( and most people use for free )
Well, I agree with you in part.   On one hand, people tend to make a big fuss about these things, act out in overdramatic fashion,  like all of a sudden everyone is someone who "installs avast! on many systems".  No offense to the people who do install Avast! for people, but sometimes I think people are trying to make themselves and their opinions "bigger" than they really are.   And thats only one facet of it.

But on the other hand, other companies have gone down a dark road that started just like this.  So while it might seem a lot of people are jumping the gun, many are acting on past bad experiences.  And it is good (at least in part) that reactions to this are often so swift and venomous, because it gives a good barometer of users and how they would act if such tactics escalated or became regular practice.  Because I do not think either of us or most regular forum users ever want this to degenerate to something like Avira is with marketing. ;)

nicholsona

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
It's popping up a message that has the sole intent of getting me to spend my money that upsets me.
Where does it ask you to spend money?
Left unchecked, this is the path to full-blown ad-ware. If it keeps up I will start installing another product on people's computers. Period. Too many products have gone down that road for this to not worry me.
I doubt it will "keep up" or escalate....have been with this product for a few years now, enough to know that while they do this occasionally send a toaster pop-up for sales, new products, or in this case a FB giveaway,  it has never become the norm. 

Going on 3 years with Avast! now, I can count the number of times I have seen something like this on one hand.  So they keep it well within reasonable limits, or at least to me they are reasonable.

I'm here to voice my opinion about something Avast did, and tell them I didn't like it, and it makes me trust them just a little less. That's my sole purpose. Personally, I don't need you to question that. I'm not asking you what you think about my trusting them less; I don't care. Frankly, it's not your business. If you want to come on here and say you're fine with this; that's your business. I'm not here to question your thoughts on the subject. Frankly, it's none of my business. So how about we all let each other state our feelings without calling each other's judgment into question? I know it's the internet, but not everything has to be about who is right and who is wrong. You don't need to chime in and tell us what you think about every stupid little thing. So please, let me say my piece in peace. Thank you. I'm done.