Author Topic: "Win A Free Macbook"?  (Read 36801 times)

Libra

Re: "Win A Free Macbook"?
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 11:20:02 PM »
Thanks AntivirusASeT for explaining that the ad is sent out to everyone.  I've only seen it once, so that's not too bad.

I opted out of the community settings, so I don't have it.

Sincerely, Libra

pectillin

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
I got the popup and like many of you thought Oh No, something got through!

It is for real.  I do have FB.

The thing with the entry is that it's an app.  FB apps don't just get your information, they "grab" everyone on your family, friends, etc. lists.  That's what I don't like and one of the 2 reasons I won't enter.  I won't have the people I interact with having their information gotten and I won't own anything Apple, never have, never will.

But the entry as an app is what really turned me off.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
No one is being forced to enter the contest. It's basically a notification to let every one know
that the FREE avast! 7 version for the Mac is now available. The ability to enter the contest and possibly win a prize is an added bonus
and available if you're interested.  :) 
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Megatron1

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
I like this antivirus and have used it forever....however I do not use it as the absolute assurance I need not to get malware and such things. If this is a new thing for Avast I will gladly use Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials which contrary to their rating I have used on other PCs and never had an issue. Spamming home screens looks like malware. It is in itself definitely ADWARE.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
Have a nice time trying to use Avira as that has far more pop-ups and is why many came to avast.

As you say you have used avast forever, you would have to base your judgement on your past experience and not just one instance of a free promo.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
I like this antivirus and have used it forever....however I do not use it as the absolute assurance I need not to get malware and such things. If this is a new thing for Avast I will gladly use Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials which contrary to their rating I have used on other PCs and never had an issue. Spamming home screens looks like malware. It is in itself definitely ADWARE.
If one popup announcing a new product is enough to persuade you to change from something that has been keeping your system
secure for years, then you must not care that much about your computers security. ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

charonn0

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 07:32:15 PM »
I don't care what justification lies behind it, how could this idea possibly have gotten approval from someone with an IQ above 40? Look at this:

Tell me just how this isn't extremely suspicious? How could a legitimate software house in modern times expect "win a free Macbook" popups not to arouse deep suspicion? Especially when they appear without warning or apparent cause and claim to be from a reputable company.

Whose idea was this and why weren't they laughed out of the company?

</rant>

Gargamel360

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
How could a legitimate software house in modern times expect "win a free Macbook" popups not to arouse deep suspicion? Especially when they appear without warning or apparent cause and claim to be from a reputable company.
Honestly, for the majority of users, there will be no suspicion.  Because Joe/Jane User does not get suspicious online, they are like (no offense intended to average user) a Pavlov dog.  Which is why social engineering attacks work so well (and will continue to work), because unlike driving a car, the Web does not require you get a operators license.

Aside from that, it is an typical Avast! pop-up.  If you have Avast! installed, (and are the type or user smart enough to be suspicious) I would think that you would recognize it, and that would go quite a way to alleviating any suspicions.   

If you are just flat against an AV marketing itself via pop-ups like this, or do not like facebook cross-marketing, just say so.  But if the pop-up aroused "deep suspicions" in you, it goes without saying that you are not the type it was aimed at in the first place....never assume Marketing does not know exactly what they are doing.  Just because you are in the savvy minority, there are millions of the naive out there waiting to have something sold (or given) to them. ;)

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 06:00:09 AM »
when i see such pop ups, i just do a thought process if my system is likely to be infected. (i do checks on roughly a weekly basis)

combined with the fact that i use the web with caution and have my own mitigation tools, i will trust the pop up (after all i have already let avast installed drivers at kernel level...if i do not trust it, thats already a failure on my part to allow an untrusted program to install so deeply)

so as long as i think that my system is not likely to be infected and i am interested in the pop up, i will still click on it.

this is actually very normal marketing methods...abused by crooks.
its a way of marketing for software, just as there is a way for marketing for physical shops.

bmgent

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 07:02:01 AM »
Have a nice time trying to use Avira as that has far more pop-ups and is why many came to avast.

As you say you have used avast forever, you would have to base your judgement on your past experience and not just one instance of a free promo.

I have used Avast since 2001 (when they made their first free version) and have recommended / installed this product more times than I can remember. 

Even though I have this vast amount of experience to base my judgement on, I was STILL concerned when I saw the pop up about the contest.  When it popped up, my stomach dropped.  I quickly found that it wasn't spam or anything terrible, but it still made me uneasy.  I've warned 100s of my clients about these "get a free laptop by completing only 5 offers" and the pop up smelled like one of those scams.  I know it isn't one, but it might frighten some older folks who I put the fear of God into by telling them the woes of these sorts of schemes.

You can say what you want to "super users / evangelists / uberevangelists" but all it makes you sound like is a bunch of Avast bots trying to stop an uprising among the community who is just voicing their worth-considering concerns.  I've seen comments on here that would make me fire you if you worked for my company.  You should never treat anyone with disrespect or assume they know less than you by using condescending speech when responding to their concerns.  It's fuel to the fire.

You should offer helpful suggestions by stating and restating over and over again how to turn off the community settings... instead of saying things like: "read the whole stinking thread to figure it out because we already answered your ignorant question."  Most of us just want the fix, not a snide remark.

(copy and paste the following to new posts if others ask the question later)

HOW TO FIX THIS: 
1. Open the Avast interface by double clicking on the orange "A" in the lower right part of your screen.
2. Click on "Settings" at the top of the window.
3. Click on "Community on the lower left.
4. Uncheck both items in the section titled "Community Features"
5. Click "OK" and then close Avast's main window.  You shouldn't see these messages anymore!

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »

I have used Avast since 2001 (when they made their first free version) and have recommended / installed this product more times than I can remember. 

Even though I have this vast amount of experience to base my judgement on, I was STILL concerned when I saw the pop up about the contest.  When it popped up, my stomach dropped.  I quickly found that it wasn't spam or anything terrible, but it still made me uneasy.  I've warned 100s of my clients about these "get a free laptop by completing only 5 offers" and the pop up smelled like one of those scams.  I know it isn't one, but it might frighten some older folks who I put the fear of God into by telling them the woes of these sorts of schemes.

You can say what you want to "super users / evangelists / uberevangelists" but all it makes you sound like is a bunch of Avast bots trying to stop an uprising among the community who is just voicing their worth-considering concerns.  I've seen comments on here that would make me fire you if you worked for my company.  You should never treat anyone with disrespect or assume they know less than you by using condescending speech when responding to their concerns.  It's fuel to the fire.

You should offer helpful suggestions by stating and restating over and over again how to turn off the community settings... instead of saying things like: "read the whole stinking thread to figure it out because we already answered your ignorant question."  Most of us just want the fix, not a snide remark.

(copy and paste the following to new posts if others ask the question later)

HOW TO FIX THIS: 
1. Open the Avast interface by double clicking on the orange "A" in the lower right part of your screen.
2. Click on "Settings" at the top of the window.
3. Click on "Community on the lower left.
4. Uncheck both items in the section titled "Community Features"
5. Click "OK" and then close Avast's main window.  You shouldn't see these messages anymore!

it is good that u state how to turn off these features to help others. however, u cannot blame DavidR for being a bit nasty to Megatron1. this is because he is spreading claims here...
especially about the part which says Avast is spamming homescreens like malware...bmgent, if ur a long time user i am sure u know that it is completely untrue.

moreover it is definitely true that Avira is the one spamming users with splash screens at least once a day (i have another system here using it and i can verify that Avira is doing as such)... this is why DavidR is questioning Megatron1 if he used Avast forever (another claim) when he made such poorly founded claim of Avast spamming homescreens like malware.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:32:46 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

bmgent

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 07:45:11 AM »
@AntiVirusASeT
I'm sorry but it's never ok to be nasty when you're helping someone, especially if you are speaking as a person who has been promoted to an evangelist or über evangelist. I understand your point though and to dispell claims like you mentioned makes the dispeller seem petty.

Yes I totally agree that Avast has been by far the best product in the industry and would never be considered a company that would spam ANYONE, but I see the point of many folks who saw the pop ups and thought "spam".  That is where we come in and offer a positive word to calm their concerns ... not a defensive "you should shut up and just be thankful you're not paying for it / antivirus XYZ is far worse so count your blessings" answer to heighten their anxiety.

The primary reason I posted my initial comment was to say that all of this could be done a bit more professionally and less snippety. Thanks for your comments though. I appreciate the feedback!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:49:09 AM by bmgent »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »
@ bmagent
Quoting my post in isolation takes it out of context.

I don't know where you get the nasty from, when a user says he is thinking of jumping ship to avira to avoid this pop-up in avast, I'm saying the other field isn't always greener on the other side. Not to forget I did mention the users prior positive experience with avast "I like this antivirus and have used it forever...." shouldn't be discounted.

Nothing more noting less no nasty intent, unfortunately you clearly have no knowledge of me, when avast gets something wrong I'm one of the first to jump on it in the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bmgent

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »
@ bmagent
Quoting my post in isolation takes it out of context.

I don't know where you get the nasty from, when a user says he is thinking of jumping ship to avira to avoid this pop-up in avast, I'm saying the other field isn't always greener on the other side. Not to forget I did mention the users prior positive experience with avast "I like this antivirus and have used it forever...." shouldn't be discounted.

Nothing more noting less no nasty intent, unfortunately you clearly have no knowledge of me, when avast gets something wrong I'm one of the first to jump on it in the forums.

I was responding to someone else's comment about you being nasty. Their words, not mine.

How is it out of context when you can click the heading and jump directly to the place your comment was made in the thread? Please don't try to find things about my post(s) to get upset about since you have obviously been doing this too long and have gotten callous to how your posts sound.

This is still about the initial comment in this thread. Or are you trying to make it about you and me? Please don't get petty and don't get your feelings hurt sir.

There's a difference between answering questions and being a know-it-all. You're right. I don't know you well enough to know which one best describes you... I intend to start helping out in the forums too from now on so I hope we can get along in the future and help others together.

I feel we have gotten off to a bad start. I'm sorry, I tend to be overly sensitive when it comes to helpful customer support.

Arizona

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2012, 01:25:34 AM »
+1 Bmgent