Author Topic: Cannot read newsgroups in Agent  (Read 3042 times)

Hortonwho

Cannot read newsgroups in Agent
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:14:30 AM »
I've been using Agent to readnet Usenet groups for ages. I just downloaded and installed Avast, version 7.0.1407, and I get this error when trying to download new headers in Agent: Error reported by server 400. Cannot establish SSL with NNTP server 69.16.186.7:563, SSL connect error 38.

(I also had to disable web shields, because Firefox wouldn't connect to any web pages. Not impressed so far, I have to say.)

:(

(also I hate the verification words -- making them non-human readable may make it hard for robots to fool the system, but at the cost of making it hard for humans as well!)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Cannot read newsgroups in Agent
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »
The latest version is 7.0.1436. ;)
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.0

Hortonwho

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »
OK, I went ahead and updated to the latest version, but as expected, no change in the problems I was having. (First and foremost, not being able to read newsgroups.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »
Why is forte agent using port 563 (and not the normal NNTP port 119) as that is probably triggering the SSL issue as under normal circumstances the mail shield wouldn't be trying to redirect that traffic but would fail. ?

Presumably forte agent would be using the NNTP protocol ?
If you set forte agent to use port 119 and I guess that get through the redirection, but I don't know if that would subsequently be trying to connect to a secure news service (otherwise I see no point in port 563) ?

What is your operating system and  firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
If it is the firewall blocking them this could also be causing issues for the mail shield and not just the web shield not being able to connect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hortonwho

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:24:26 AM »
Thanks.

My settings on Agent are the default, NNTP port 119, so they must be overriding that. It is a secure news service.

All very simple stuff, really.

Firewall has been disabled. No change in behaviour.

Operating system is Windows XP.