Author Topic: Just a little PO'd at Avast right now  (Read 4985 times)

corneroffice

Just a little PO'd at Avast right now
« on: May 07, 2012, 04:49:45 AM »
I need to roll back to version 6 of Avast Free so that I can get back to a fully working Juniper VPN session at my corporate office. Even though the VPN host checker sees Avast 7 at 1426, it does not detect the real-time protection as being enabled (all shields are on). Going to Oldapps web site or Filehippo to get version 6 back until the VPN issue can be resolved is seemingly impossible due to the fact that when the setup file runs, it automatically wants to bypass the install and instead fetch the newest installer for version 7. Not kool!

Is there any way to get a 6.0.1367 installer that stands on its own?

Cassy

Re: Just a little PO'd at Avast right now
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:46:05 AM »
Hi!

I'm certainly no expert on Avast, but here's an idea which sometimes works on similar problems:  Disconnect your machine from the Internet before you install; if the installer feels that it has no choice because it has no internet connection, it may be willing to install the older version.  (You can also use your firewall or whatever to isolate the installer from the 'Net connection).

Don't forget to change the Avast settings to ignore engine/product updates before you turn the 'Net connection back on.

If getting hold of a standalone installer for v.6 is the problem, you can find them in the usual places which store old versions of shareware and freeware, such as http://www.afterdawn.com/software/security/antivirus/avast_free.cfm#all_versions .  Avast may or may not have their own download site for old versions, but you'll have to wait until someone who knows where it is notices this thread.

Tell us if it works.

C.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:13:21 AM »
fully working Juniper VPN session at my corporate office.
avast free is not for corporate use.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
Ever thought he is using avast! Free at home (for his own computer) and tries to conenct to a corporate VPN just do do some task for the work from home?

I can also connect to my work e-mail using my home PC or laptop and that doesn't make it corporate use...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
Ever thought he is using avast! Free at home (for his own computer) and tries to conenct to a corporate VPN just do do some task for the work from home?

Yes I thought of that right away.

I can also connect to my work e-mail using my home PC or laptop and that doesn't make it corporate use...

However, it would still be a debatable point (one for avast to determine) as to why there is a need to connect to work. If it is work related then I would say technically that would be considered work product, so it should be the pro version (perhaps the company would pay), fortunately I'm just an avast user.

However, I don't know what would be different in avast7 that would make the VPN host checker unable to detect if the shields are on or not;  we don't know what the Juniper VPN host checker would be looking at to determine is resident protection is on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Theo Peterbroers

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
See the forum section on avast! Business protection.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=87048.0
'Juniper SA2500 doesnt recognize newest Avast software'.
The last message in this topic mentions a work-around.

Regards,
Kwartet!

rogo

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »
Hi!

I'm certainly no expert on Avast, but here's an idea which sometimes works on similar problems:  Disconnect your machine from the Internet before you install; if the installer feels that it has no choice because it has no internet connection, it may be willing to install the older version.  (You can also use your firewall or whatever to isolate the installer from the 'Net connection).

Don't forget to change the Avast settings to ignore engine/product updates before you turn the 'Net connection back on.

If getting hold of a standalone installer for v.6 is the problem, you can find them in the usual places which store old versions of shareware and freeware, such as http://www.afterdawn.com/software/security/antivirus/avast_free.cfm#all_versions .  Avast may or may not have their own download site for old versions, but you'll have to wait until someone who knows where it is notices this thread.

Tell us if it works.

C.

Here is the url for old versions of Avast, you can download what you need from this site.
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

feral2U

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
Before you have a crack at the bloke I suggest you ascertain if he has actually committed a breach of terms here.
Consider the following;
1. He may be using his personal computer at home to do work for his company and Avast free is installed on that, no crime there.
2. The VPN software he is using on his own computer is provided by his company but Avast free which he is using is preventing him from connecting, this is Avast's problem.

Solution, he should obtain a laptop from work and use that then he wont have to worry about Avast interfering with his VPN session.
There is always a bigger picture.

fully working Juniper VPN session at my corporate office.
avast free is not for corporate use.

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
1. He may be using his personal computer at home to do work for his company and Avast free is installed on that, no crime there.

Doing work for his company IS commercial work, no different to someone working from home earning a living, it is not personal use in that case.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
Guys, get real. One thing is earning your money with your own computer day by day and another is to connect to some work related service once in a while because work requires that and you need to do it from home. If that was the case i bet half of the free users would be violating the TOS which i doubt is the case...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
Guys, get real. One thing is earning your money with your own computer day by day and another is to connect to some work related service once in a while because work requires that and you need to do it from home. If that was the case i bet half of the free users would be violating the TOS which i doubt is the case...

http://www.avast.com/eula

AVAST END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
(FREE VERSION)

PLEASE  READ  THE  TERMS  AND  CONDITIONS  OF  THIS  LICENSE  AGREEMENT  (“AGREEMENT”)
CAREFULLY  BEFORE  USING  THE  SOFTWARE  (AS  DEFINED  BELOW).  THIS  IS  A  LEGALLY  BINDING
CONTRACT  BETWEEN  YOU  AND  AVAST  SOFTWARE  a.s.,  A COMPANY  DULY  ORGANIZED  AND
EXISTING  UNDER  THE  LAWS  OF  THE  CZECH  REPUBLIC,  REGISTERED  IN  THE  COMMERCIAL
REGISTER  MAINTAINED  BY  THE  MUNICIPAL  COURT  IN  PRAGUE  IN  SECTION  B,  INSERT  NO.  11402
(“AVAST”). BY ASSENTING ELECTRONICALLY, INSTALLING OR USING THIS SOFTWARE YOU ACCEPT
ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.  If you do not agree with the terms and conditions
of this  Agreement, do not continue the installation process and delete or destroy all copies of the Software in  your
possession. 

This Agreement accompanies certain software (including any upgrades or updates thereto as provided by AVAST, the
“Software”) and related explanatory written materials (the “Documentation”). 

1.  License

AVAST grants to  you a non-exclusive perpetual license to use the Software and  the  Documentation  for so long as
AVAST makes the Software available, provided that you agree to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. 

2.  Permitted Use of the Software

You may install and use the Software on an unlimited number of computers. The Software must be used exclusively by
you or members of your household solely for private non-commercial purposes. You may also make one backup copy
of the Software.

ANY USE OF THE SOFTWARE OTHER THAN AS EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY THIS SECTION OR ANY
RESALE  OR  FURTHER  DISTRIBUTION  OF  THE  SOFTWARE  CONSTITUTES  A  MATERIAL  BREACH  OF
THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY VIOLATE APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.