Author Topic: BSOD after upgrade  (Read 1906 times)

ElJerid

BSOD after upgrade
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »
Never had a problem with previous Avast versions. Today after upgrading to Avast 7.0.1426, I get random BSOD with message "a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer", and a dwprot.sys error. Deinstalled, cleaned with aswclear and reinstalled. Same problem. If I disable all shields, my system runs fine. If no solution for this problem, I want to return to previous version 6, but wher can I find it ???
I'm running XP Pro SP3.
Thanks for help or advice.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: BSOD after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
 dwprot.sys is a part of Dr Web and is conflicting with Avast.  You need to remove Dr Web 

ElJerid

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
Thanks for your confirmation of what I already suspected.
However, removing dwprot was not easy as it was a selfprotected remaining file with associated undeletable registry entries after removing Dr Web "normally". I searched the web and found a lot of "solutions", oftenly including the download of "magic" removers or deinstallers. But none worked.
For those who might be interested, here is how I finally solved the problem. The solution could probably also apply for similar problems where files or registry entries can't apparently be deleted.
To remove dwprot.sys (located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers), I just booted from an Ubuntu CD (without install) and simply deleted the file. That worked, thanks Linux !
To remove the registry entries, I ran PsExec from Sysinternals, with parameters -i -d -s, which allows to delete locked entries. I then deleted all dwprot entries.
Finally I reinstalled Avast 7 and my system is now running for several hours without a single BSOD (before removing dwprot, I coudn't use the system for more than 1 or 2 minutes).

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:43 PM »
Ta for that info  ;D