Author Topic: Compatibility  (Read 4811 times)

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
Compatibility
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »
Is avast compatible with AVG Free Linkscanner (search shield, surf shield) ? It has normal AVG UI and in memory it has multiple services (watchdog+vprot.exe)
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »
Why would anybody need to use something from AVG? Especially when avast already has all the resident shields you need.
I wouldn't recommend using AVG's so-called "Link Scanner" since avast does this already. Using the link scanner could
create a conflict with avast. IMO I'd stick with avast as having the protection you are asking about.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:12:04 AM »
Why would anybody need to use something from AVG? Especially when avast already has all the resident shields you need.
I wouldn't recommend using AVG's so-called "Link Scanner" since avast does this already. Using the link scanner could
create a conflict with avast. IMO I'd stick with avast as having the protection you are asking about.  :)

+1

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:46:56 PM »
Linkscanner is better than WebRep IMO
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
Linkscanner is better than WebRep IMO
WebRep is "not" a link scanner. WebRep is based on the opinions/votes of users visiting any website they visit. Thus the more user activity at a particular web-site the greater the volume of votes. avast does incorporate anti-phishing in its protection.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

TigerRaptorFX

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:02:38 AM »
Avast and AVG Linkscanner are compatible with each other.  That much I know.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »
Avast and AVG Linkscanner are compatible with each other.  That much I know.
I will restate myself, "Why have something you don't need?" avast has all those wonderful resident shields. So there is no need to
pile on something that is already there.  :)

Check my signature. I have very basic needs, avast, MBAM, SAS and a solid firewall. I don't like a lot of junk on my HDD. Just the basics. I am quite well protected. Thank you very much.  :)

TigerRaptorFX

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »
Its effectiveness is unknown to me, so perhaps you are right.  I don't that much their link scanner since I never got around to testing it against malware links and phishing links.  Danny asked a question and I gave him the answer.  If he wants to feel a little safer with it, then it’s with me.

I personally use Bitdefender Trafficlight for Firefox and Chromium.  I know that one works because I tested it against the malware and phishing links.  It also has kept a few of my family member’s safe where Avast, Google Web Forgery and OpenDNS failed.

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
I really do not see the harm in trying it at least.  If we be in the "church" of Avast!, AVG is not the devil, just a different denomination

Guess it could have some impact on browsing speed, in addition to the Web Shield.  And I do not know exactly how Linkscanner works, but I know it "scans ahead of you" somehow, so you might run into a time Linkscanner detects something, but Avast! first detects Linkscanner, typical FP conflict.  So it might not hurt to exclude the necessary processes/folders with the Avast! Web Shield/ File Shield to avoid that.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 01:27:25 AM »
I understand your point. It's the possibility of false positives that get my attention. As far as conflicts go I was not able to find a thread that stated with any certainty that there was a conflict. I do believe in overkill as far as security software. IMHO you can have too much security software. The more you have increases the chances of conflicts. That's why I like to keep it simple.  :)