Author Topic: Can't reach Theft Aware UI after a Firmware-Update  (Read 5839 times)

Gigglo

Can't reach Theft Aware UI after a Firmware-Update
« on: January 05, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
Hello,

today I installed "Theft Aware" the first time on my cellphone. Everything worked fine, until I made an update of the Cyanogenmod 7 Kang (nightly build) by ClockworkManager.
There is no need to do an cache, dalvik or full wipe. You have to install the new Kang and that's it.

Now I'm wondering why I can't open the "Theft Aware" UI anymore, because I selected the install option "firmware proof" (dunno exactly what it's name is), but I understood that "Theft Aware" will work after a firmware update?! I tried to reach the UI by dialing the PIN right on my cellphone and from a "friends" phone. Nothing works. Also I can't see "Theft Aware" in the device admin page.

What do I have to do, to be able to start the "Theft Aware" UI again?

Regards

Gigglo

reinhardholzner

Re: Can't reach Theft Aware UI after a Firmware-Update
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
A firmware flash often deletes the tool. Reinstall plz.

Gigglo

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »
Hi Reinhard,

thanks for your quick answer. After reinstalling Theft Aware runs again, some settings were still there (f.e. friends list, user name). But I have to set the PIN again.

What does the setting "Werkseinstellungen überleben" (survive factory settings?!) mean? Is it possible to save the settings there and recover them after flashing?

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad to found this nice program. But it would be great if the program survives a new flashing. :)

Regards

Gigglo

chainfire

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:55:04 AM »
Factory reset and flashing are not the same. Factory reset returns the phone to the state it was in when you took it out of the box. The OS is unaffected, but all your user stuff gets removed (everything in /data), so the phone is like new. Flashing replaces the firmware, which is basically everything in /system.

Making your settings "factory reset proof" means storing those settings in a place where a factory reset won't affect them, probably in /system. But nothing in /system will survive flashing new firmware. Whatever did survive was not in /system. It was probably in /data, which is where user data and user apps are stored.

Gigglo

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »
Hi chainfire,

thanks for your helpful answer.

I don't want the complete "Avast! Free Mobile Security" kit, I only need the tool "Theft Aware". Because I'm flashing a new Cyanogenmod nightly from the KANG once a day (sometimes only once a week), i have no pleasure to make a full installation of "Avast! Free Mobile Security", then re-install and re-set "Theft Aware" and remove the "Avast! Free Mobile Security" at the end.

Maybe a solution could be NOT to install "Theft Aware" directly to the system, but choose the other option to create an update.zip and install that zip after a new flashing. The update.zip definitely will survive a firmware flashing. Maybe it could be possible only to install the update.zip by clockworkmod after a new firmware flashing. So there would be no need to de-/install everytime "Avast! Free Mobile Security" from the android market.

So I will report after testing.

Regards

Gigglo

Gigglo

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
That was not successfully.  ???

Built the UPDATE-zip (type: EDITY, AMEND is to old and doesn't work for Gingerbread) and tried to install it by the ClockworkMod.

Result:

The installation aborted with the following error message:

Code: [Select]
-- Installing: /sdcard/UPDATE.zip
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /sdcard/UPDATE.zip
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/UPDATE.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.
result was NULL, message is: assert failed: install_zip("/sdcard/UPDATE.zip")

Dunno what "assert failed" means...

Why can't I install the UPDATE.zip?

Regards

Gigglo

reinhardholzner

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
hi this will be fixed in the next official update. status 0 means incompatible update binary and in the next update you'll be able to select between 2 update binaries.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 02:52:25 PM »
update 1999 has just been released and it fixes this problem.

Arruda

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »
Hi,
I'm using the CM9 nightly buil and titanium backup, every time I madea flash of new version of CM9, I lost the anti theft but I can recover it from titanium. The mater is I can´t recover my configuration and I had to re-configure everything all times.
I saw that there is an option to save data under cmw recovery, but I didn't realize what is exactly means.
Anyone can tell me some place to get help about it?

svehlak

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »
CWM has a file with list of stored applications. in case you will use this method, CWM should be able to recall all the settings.