Author Topic: Forgot passcode  (Read 6608 times)

Vortimus

Forgot passcode
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:20 AM »
Forgot the passcode to my phone after putting in new sim card. any ideas.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Forgot passcode
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »
Hello,

avast! doesn't send the pin code to our servers and there is no master key for security reasons.

You can try to uninstall it.

To unistall avast! just follow steps below (note that if you have set avast! Anti-theft as a device admin then uninstallation will not work for Anti-theft):

- Open 'Settings' from All Apps screen in your Android phone.

- Select the option 'Applications', then 'Manage Applications'.

- Select the option with disguise-name (custom application name) you chose for avast! Anti-Theft during the installation process.

- On the next screen 'Uninstall' and then 'OK' to confirm uninstallation of disguised avast! Anti-Theft.

- Once the uninstallation of avast! Anti-Theft is complete select 'OK' to get back to Manage Applications screen.

- Select the option 'avast! Mobile Security'.

On te next screen 'Uninstall' and then 'OK' to confirm unistallation of disguised avast! Anti-Theft.

Once the uninstallation of avast! Free Mobile Security is complete select 'OK' to get back to Manage Applications screen.

for further information you can also consult our manual available at:
http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf
it will help you understand the basics of the software.
give it a try - it's short and easy to understand.

99% of all questions asked are also already answered in the FAQ
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1034

Best regards,

Werner

Superb_user

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:46:26 AM »
can thief also use same method for uninstalling avast!
if yes then whats use of installing anti thief into fone

svehlak

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
What? How can a thief know, what name you did choose? And in case the app is hidden, he will not find it.

kbrowne

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:12:46 AM »
can thief also use same method for uninstalling avast!
if yes then whats use of installing anti thief into fone

I lost/forgot my PIN and was trying to uninstall the entire program. After some trial and error I got the program uninstalled. Key was finding the Advanced Setting that assigned admin priveleges to the "hidden" program, which I had named "safe and sound." I had been getting a message "uninstall was not successful" but after unchecking the box about admin priv. the hidden  program uninstalled.

Now I'm wondering if I reinstall it with the same email account will I have to try to remember the PIN I had been using or can I start all over from square one? I won't use "safe and sound" again ;-)

sophe

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:44 AM »
lets just assume for the time-being that thieves are not that smart.

and considering the time-frame from when the phone was stolen til the time you start looking for it via AVAT we could safely assume that you would be able to locate it before they manage to figure out that it is being tracked.

however this could be a good feature to add in-case phone died when lost. setup the ability to have the phone contact the owner at 'friends 1 or 2' numbers once phone has power.

8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:37:46 AM »
Can I start all over from square one?
Yes you can.
The best things in life are free.

svehlak

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 10:37:43 AM »
The service is stored in start up, so in case the device is set off and after some time on again, the first what will happen is anti-theft client firing up the SMS.