Author Topic: I can't make Outlook Silent!!!  (Read 3650 times)

mastabog

I can't make Outlook Silent!!!
« on: December 21, 2004, 01:33:58 PM »
Hello,

It's very frustrating ... I am using the new avast v4.5 Pro (4.5-549) and MS Outlook 2003 on an Win XP SP2 machine.

I've noticed the Silent option inside the Outlook module ... i've checked it.
n the heuristcs tab of the Outlook module i've put it on custom and checked the silent option also.

Despite of doing the above, avast STILL pops up when it detects a virus in an email and asks me what to do. Right now i receive a lot of infected emails daily and there's nothing I can do about it ...

Is there another config setting that I should change to make it fully silent in Outlook? as in no popup asking me what to do (delete, move, ok etc.)

This is my last chance of making avast silent in Outlook and if I can't solve it I will be a bit forced to choose another AV and I *really* don't want to do that.

Please help, thanks a lot
Cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:I can't make Outlook Silent!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 01:40:30 PM »
Despite of doing the above, avast STILL pops up when it detects a virus in an email and asks me what to do. Right now i receive a lot of infected emails daily and there's nothing I can do about it ...

Did you set avast4.ini file to not virus show messages? See 'Settings' in my signature.
What default answer did you choose into Silent Mode, yes or no?

Is there another config setting that I should change to make it fully silent in Outlook? as in no popup asking me what to do (delete, move, ok etc.)

Only Professional version is fully automated. It's a restriction of the Home one.

This is my last chance of making avast silent in Outlook and if I can't solve it I will be a bit forced to choose another AV and I *really* don't want to do that. Please help, thanks a lot Cheers

If you won't try again, so, we won't be able to help you more...  :-\
The best things in life are free.

mastabog

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 01:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

I already said i'm using v4.5 pro. I had no idea that i have to modfy avast4.ini file in order to achieve such a smple task. I will try that and post again here.

Cheers

mastabog

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 02:08:49 PM »
Ok, i've read you thread about avast avast4.ini. Maybe i'm just blind .. can you tell me exactly what lines i need to add/edit inside avast4.ini in order to make the outlook module completely silent?

again, i'm using avast 4.5 pro, winxp sp2.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 07:09:06 PM »
I already said i'm using v4.5 pro. I had no idea that i have to modfy avast4.ini file in order to achieve such a smple task. I will try that and post again here.

Sorry me... I haven't see you're using the Professional version.
Besides the Virus Page of the Outlook/Exchange plugin settings (right click the Standard Shiel Task on Enhanced Interface and choose properties) you can set this options into avast4.ini file:

ShowVirusTag=0 at section [AAVM] to avoid the displaying virus advice (yellow/red layer that pops up when a virus is found). A reboot may be required for the changes to become effective. Didn't you find this at my 'Settings' link?

More information here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=post;threadid=9810
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:11:56 PM by Technical »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »
I forgot the screenshot...

mastabog

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 07:30:44 PM »
Thanks again for the reply,

The last link you gave me does not help .. i thinkn it's the same thing I've said in my 1st post here  ::)

I am now trying the new virus action on the outlook/exchange provider in the enhanced interface. Thanks for the tip .. i haven't had the time to look that deep.

Will report back. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 07:38:20 PM by mastabog »

mastabog

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 08:11:35 PM »
Yep .. that advanced task editing with conditioned virus actions did the trick just fine.

My opinion is that right now this option is way to deep and is accessed rather hard. Even experienced users nowadays have little time ..  think t ould be brought into the provider settings, when you simple click the icon. Just my $0.02

Thanks again for your input ... you made my day :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 08:25:43 PM »
Yep .. that advanced task editing with conditioned virus actions did the trick just fine.

Thanks again for your input ... you made my day :)

You're welcome  8)

My opinion is that right now this option is way to deep and is accessed rather hard. Even experienced users nowadays have little time ..  think t ould be brought into the provider settings, when you simple click the icon. Just my $0.02

A lot of users ask for an easier setup/configuration page.
Maybe we cry a lot and Alwil listen to us  ;D