Author Topic: Unable to update virus definitions since latest version  (Read 2763 times)

teardrop

Unable to update virus definitions since latest version
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »
Dear all,

I am using 1489 (free version) on Vista Home Premium 32-bit (no service pack). Since updating to the latest version of the program, I have been unable to update my virus definitions successfully. I begin the update process manually each morning, but the 'Overall progress' bar freezes at 50 percent on step 2 of 2 on the VPS screen. There is no longer any 'cancel' button, so the screen stays frozen until I shut down my PC at night. The same problem occurs the next morning for the past three days. Avast appears to be working well in every other respect.

I am not sure if it is merely the update screen that has frozen, but the definitions have been updated, or if the process has indeed failed.

I have 4GB of RAM, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz processor, 40Gb free space of 500GB disk. I have Windows Firewall enabled, but Avast is allowed through. Turning off Windows Firewall did not help. No other firewalls, security software or anti-virus running.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

David.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:16:32 PM by teardrop »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Unable to update virus definitions since latest version
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »
If you select a manual update whilst Avast is doing an autoupdate you will experience this.  Avast checks for updates on boot and 4 hourly thereafter

teardrop

Re: Unable to update virus definitions since latest version
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »
Thank you for your reply, Essexboy.

I had Engine and Virus definitions set to manual, but Program set to 'Ask when an update is available'. I have now changed both to manual. Will see tomorrow if this helps.

Thanks,

David