Author Topic: How to stop big window stealing focus when manually updating?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Anacunga

Having set to manual updating, there is a small box appearing over the tray to tell as soon as a new update is ready. But as soon as you click onto the "update now" link, it is not just updating - it is opening the big window that ALWAYS is put into foreground and stealing focus. Where to set that updating can be done WITHOUT that big window (but don't tell me to let automatically upate - I have my reasons that I described in different threads here!).

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: How to stop big window stealing focus when manually updating?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »
hey, do you get anything from avast that it have update to a latest program version? do you have the latest version of avast program installed? it could be that you need to install and after a program upgrade a system reboot is needed.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:26:11 PM »
Having set to manual updating, there is a small box appearing over the tray to tell as soon as a new update is ready. But as soon as you click onto the "update now" link, it is not just updating - it is opening the big window that ALWAYS is put into foreground and stealing focus. Where to set that updating can be done WITHOUT that big window (but don't tell me to let automatically upate - I have my reasons that I described in different threads here!).
That big window as you call it is the installer UI so i suggest you read through it to decide which features you do or dont want, ie - Google Chrome ( first screen ), Avast gadget ( via custom install )

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »
Do you all really wanna treat me as a stupid??? Sorry, but ...

... it is the simple and only "engine and virus definitions update"; it is a small balloon just over the avast tray icon and pops up just after starting up - and then several times a day; you just click "update" to get the latest engine and virus definitions - and that NO INSTALLER, and there is NO REBOOT needed; you just have to close the window after the update was done; that's all. And I would expect not the big window, but just the same small "update done" balloon that appears when setting to automatic update; not less and not more!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
Edited post:

Program update:
"path to\ashUpd.exe" program

Virus database update:
"path to\ashUpd.exe" vps

Welcome to avast!: the most configurable antivirus round.
Make an invisible update program with AutoIt will also do the job.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:36:41 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:21 AM »
Program update: "path to\ashUpd.exe" program /silent /nodetails
Virus database update: "path to\ashUpd.exe" vps /silent /nodetails
Welcome to avast!: the most configurable antivirus round.
Make an invisible update program with AutoIt will also do the job.
Sorry, but are you able to read??? I pronounced that I NEED THE ANNOUNCEMENT  as AUTOMATIC UPDATE is NOT ALLOWED HERE! Manual update IS A MUST here! So if you propose me run it "silently", it even won't show me that an update is ready to install! Or can you please explain how that should work?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:29:50 AM by Anacunga »