Author Topic: Why was Google Chrome installed on my system without my consent???  (Read 3185 times)

progman63

It's funny, after installing the new avast Free version 7, to see the ad at the bottom of the summary screen saying "You've chosen to install Google Chrome. Have you tried it yet?"

NO, I did not choose to install Google Chrome. I went through the Custom install so I wouldn't get the desktop gadgets and webrep apps and other junk I don't need or want. (fine if you like them and use them, that's all up to you, but thank you for the option not to install them if I don't want them)

I did not choose to install Google Chrome. I was not asked or given the choice anywhere that I could see.

I did not choose to install Google Chrome. Yet what's the first thing I see after hitting Install?
"Please wait while we install Google Chrome on your computer."

I did not choose to install Google Chrome. Yet it tried to set itself as my default browser (of course), added itself to my QuickLaunch bar, and plopped an icon on my desktop.

I did not choose to install Google Chrome. Yet it was installed on my system.

Without asking.

Without any option.

Without my choice.

That's the kind of lame garbage I expect from third rate programs downloaded from questionable sites.

Not from a company that produces such a fine program as avast.....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why was Google Chrome installed on my system without my consent???
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
When installing you should have seen the google chrome options in the initial installation screen before you elected to use a custom install, see image.

Did you not see that ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

The Seeker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
The lesson being: always read through the installation screens of any program.

Gooob

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »
Already discussed here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=97525.msg780190#msg780190

And countless other places.
1. Go slower.  Pay attention.  Read everything before you click anything.
2. Repeat Step 1.

avoidz

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:11:32 AM »
I still think the Google Chrome installation should be opt-in and not already pre-checked. Yes, go slow, read before clicking, etc. but I know many inexperienced users who will still click OK and then be wondering why this new program they didn't want was installed. They just aren't sure what to do with these dialog boxes (they don't even know what to call them).

Just my opinion.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:45:07 AM »
Sometimes I think why we don't complain that Internet Explorer comes installed very deep inside of the same Windows operational system...
The best things in life are free.

avoidz

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »
Sometimes I think why we don't complain that Internet Explorer comes installed very deep inside of the same Windows operational system...

You mean like the infamous United States v. Microsoft case?

Anyway, I still believe additional software installations that are offered by installers should be by default opt-in; if you want it you can check the box and go ahead.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:01:49 AM by avoidz »