Author Topic: Auto Sandbox auto aborting...  (Read 2173 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Auto Sandbox auto aborting...
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
May i ask what's the purpose of Auto Sandbox auto aborting after few seconds?Why can't user decide when to abort it? You run something, try to check it out what it does and Auto Sandbox just closes it before you can even inspect it properly. Makes no sense.
Why can't user decide between brief inspection where it auto closes after i don't know 15 seconds and user defined where you can check for as long as you want and abort it yourself. That would make far more sense. In free version you can't initiate sandbox on your own unless engine decides its supcisious enough so having this option (at least) wouldn't put paid for users on any loss.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Auto Sandbox auto aborting...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
autosandbox in 'auto' mode is not meant for users to decide if the program is malicious or not. in 'auto' mode, avast does the analysis for the users and will provide the end result of either, 'we did not find enough evidence to identify the file as malware', or, 'the file appears to be malware'.

source (for end result analysis of avast): https://blog.avast.com/2012/03/20/autosandbox-why-are-you-annoying-me/

my guess of the reason for auto terminating is to prevent average users from using the program in the sandbox. this is because any work done in programs running within sandbox will not be saved - potentially wasting the users time and effort.

if u want a more 'hands-on approach', u can change the autosandbox mode to 'ask'. that way, programs running within the autosandbox will not be terminated. in this mode, there is no visible analysis from avast.

my guess of the reason for not auto terminating in 'ask' mode is that if u know how to change the autosandbox settings from 'auto' to 'ask', u are more likely to know that any work done with programs in sandbox will not be saved - catering to more advanced users?

that said this need confirmation from avast team  :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »
The end result is always inconclusive which makes it completelly useless. I haven't seen it not even ONCE to make any kind of verdict. Not even for what was clearly malware...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:46 AM »
did not test it out personally but i must admit i do not see the malware verdict in user reviews from youtube on those that are being autosandboxed.

hope that avast can improve on that while not still not giving a malware verdict on harmless but unknown programs.  :)