Author Topic: Avast picks up what Norton misses!  (Read 4152 times)

Martoch

Avast picks up what Norton misses!
« on: July 27, 2005, 04:30:45 AM »
I really just wanted to give kudos to Avast Home Edition for detecting many trojans/viruses that Norton misses.  I run a computer repair business, and I find so many viruses after installing Avast on computers with Norton running & up to date (after removing Norton of course & removing every dang registry entry).

I've converted so many people to Avast...they can't believe it's free!
 ;D

Thanks guys.

MFB

Re: Avast picks up what Norton misses!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:09:26 AM »
Hey welcome to the wonderful world of avast! Make sure you 100% remove Norton from your PC by using the SymNRT for 2004 or higher or  Rnav2003 for 2003 or less.

Remove Norton

Martoch

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 01:43:16 PM »
Actually, that's not a good idea...I've found that removing Norton using the Norton Removal Tool can actually disable BITS to the point that you need to reinstall Norton to fix it, then uninstall Norton and delete everything manually from the registry.  It happened to me on a few occasions with Norton Internet Security 2004...after using Norton's Removal Tool, I was no longer able to do anything requiring BITS (Windows Update, for example).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 02:18:05 PM »
When installing avast! Home Edition on somebody's computer, you should make sure that they are actually qualified for the Home version (i.e. they use the computer at home and for non-commercial activities only). ;)

Martoch

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 04:15:44 PM »
Home computers are all I work on.
 :)

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 01:03:00 AM »
 :( Seriously, why is it that when I remove Norton or Mcafee Firewall, there is some errors caused? But to say, no one antivirus or antispyware is a silver bullet. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 01:15:05 AM »
Because some leave either elements or deep registry entrys that aren't removed on the automatic uninstall. When avast installs it checks for other resident AVs, if found avast may give the warning/error message and refuse to fully install all the avast elements to avoid a possible conflict, which could cause your system to freeze.

Two resident scanners are likely to be in conflict when a virus is detected which AV deals with it?  They are both likely to be fighting over it.

You can either us a non resident scanner as a backup and run periodic on-demand scan (with the resident scanners disabled) for a second opinion or use one of the many on-line scanners (not Panda as this is likely to have avast throw a fit on your next avast scan because it doesn't encrypt its virus signature file).
RejZoR's Website - Security Ops
On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security